Tank mates for Oscar

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by John14, Dec 30, 2012.

1. J

John14 Valued Member Member

Just got a 75 gallon, upgraded from my 25 i've had for about a year, I would love to have an Oscar but I don't want it to be my only fish, I will run two Emperor 400 HOB filters giving me a turnover rate of 800 GPH which should be plenty of filtration. What other tank mates can i have with this Oscar and that amount of filtration? No fish have been added to the tank, its still cycling.

2. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I personally wouldn't add anything. Let the Oscar rule his space, anything kept with him risks injury.

3. OP
    OP
    J

How would a tankmate risk injury? If you had to pick a fish would to keep with an Oscar what would you suggest?

4. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

hmmm. if I had a 75 hanging out I'd do a moderately planted South/Central american tank with ton of smaller fish (a few breeding pairs of rams or corydoras with maybe 2-3 schools of tetra or barb or something) or an asian biotope or an african cichlid tank. BUT ... I'm used to the smaller tanks. My largest is a 40 breeder :) You've got alot more options available. I'm sure someone would recommend discus or angels, but I cant help there.

What would you like? color or character? a few big or lots of small? community or species showcase? :)

5. OP
    OP
    J

I have a 75 gallon tank and im curious if i put one Tiger Oscar what other tankmates if any I'd be able to keep with him. People seem to have differing opinions on this subject.

Im leaning towards and Oscar and some ____ ? Curious about tank mates. But if no tank mates can be kept with an Oscar I do like Rams and Corys a lot. Not an Angel guy and Discus aren't my thing either. With barbs i've been there done that. I'm considering a Lake Malawi Cichlid tank as well. Can other types of Cichlids be kept with Oscars?

Really no preference about temperament but I don't want to do Neons, Guppies, Mollys, or other tiny community fish. Perhaps that helps?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
  6. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

maybe a pleco

7. OP
    OP
    J

Do you think a full grown Oscar and a full grown Pleco would be too big for a 75 gallon? I don't plan on upgrading my tank anytime soon or rehoming any of my fish.

8. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

You could get a pleco (not a common), and perhaps a school of giant danios. I really wouldn't recommend more cichlids; the aggression may become too harsh. Larger tetras might work. African and South American cichlids should not be kept together.

Add the oscar last to ensure the greatest chance of success.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you, thats a lot of help but can you list a few "large tetras".

10. Tigress Hill

Depends on what type of pleco. A common can get to over 2 feet; while BN (Bristle Nose) get 4-6 inches. There are MANY types to choose from, some fairly expensive such as the Zebra.

11. OP
    OP
    J

Not really a huge fan of Plecos, maybe I would like the more exotic species? I'll look into that. Tigress is there another species of cichlid or catfish which is compatible with an oscar?

12. Tigress Hill

Hmm... let's see:

I've never kept them, but rainbow, bleeding heart, diamond, and emperors grow to 2.5+ inches. Buenos aires get to 3 1/2-4 inches.

See if you like the any of the above, hopefully someone else can offer more insight.

13. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks, I'll research these but isn't there a chance an Oscar will view these as food?

14. Ziggi

congo tetra can get to 2 3/4 - 3 in.

I would think so :;dk

15. OP
    OP
    J

Okay well I'm not loving the Tetras but I appreciate the input guys, any other possible ideas, they don't have to be guarantee, just what "may work with an Oscar". Thanks so much. There's a good chance I wont do an Oscar.

16. Tigress Hill

If you grow them out in the tank first, and introduce the oscar as young as possible, you have a fair chance of him letting them be.

17. OP
    OP
    J

Any other fish I can take a similar approach with?

18. Ziggi

I've only ever seen oscars specie only, maybe with a Pleco that wont become lunch. :;dk

Have you considered a Jack Dempsey pair? or blood parrots?

19. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

the ocsar will eat anything it can fit in its mouth. keeping tetras with him would be like keeping worms in a tank with a large mouth bass

I have an idea research clown loaches and see if you can keep them in a 75. they get big and you keep them in groups of 5 or more

try clown loaches. not as tankmates for the Oscar but, instead of the Oscar. I have a 90gal i'm moving in, i'm thinking of trying them. they get big too

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  20. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

You might be able to get away with convicts, or a featherfin cat, or silver dollars :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice