Tank mates for new 10g tank?

1. awkotaco615 Initiate Member

Hi! So, i am not completely new at the whole fish thing. i had a few goldfish for a few months before they died of ick and one being sucked into the filter because he was so small. beginner failures? so i am getting a 10 gallon tank soon. i dont know the filter i will get yet but it will have a bubbly oxygen machine contraption. (sorry im extremely tired atm xD) i am looking for some tank mates for a 10 gallon tank. i would like a type of catfish, and ive heard about the otos. are they active swimmers as well? anything you know about them will benefit me! so i would like a nice list of options as i am extremely picky. also, anything needed to put into the tank as well, like plants and little "decoration" things would be good too. Thank you!

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Well do you know how to cycle your tank? Having goldfish period is to small for any tank mainly. Otos need to be in groups of 6+ and your tank isn't big enough. Once the tank is cycled we can give you some fish opinions!:)

3. Airth Member Member

Hello and welcome to fishlore. =)
    I'm afraid otos won't be a good match for your tank size. They like to be in groups of at least 6 and minimum tank size for them is 20 gallons according to their profile on this forum.

Here's a sticky that'll list all possible fish for a 10 gallon tank:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-stocking-questions/207629-stocking-list-10-gallons.html

I would advise going with live plants as well. They help keep the water quality in check (not to say regular water changes aren't still needed). Beware of hitchhiking snails though.

As for decorations, try to pick out something that doesn't have sharp edges on it. Some driftwood would work nicely as well. Boil anything you plan to put in your tank. =)

Please (re)familiarize yourself with the process of cycling a tank as well.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

5. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

the filter your getting, is it a sponge filter? if so I would get another HOB filter to help with the cleaning, because sponge filters are really only for aquaria with small bioloads.
    Note: otocinlus and cories need 15g min, actually more like 20g. and yes, oto's can be active when in search of food.

Here's a couple of stocking options you might like:

Ember tetra
    Endlers livebearer
    Galaxay rasbora
    Betta
    sparkling gourami
    Emerald dwarf rasbora

there are quite a few more options but these are the more attractive ones.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Sponge filters are completely fine to use in many tanks. I think one would work in a 10 gal very easily. I don't think you'll have too large of a bioload in a 10 gal to have a sponge filter.

7. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for correcting me... :)