Tank Mates for Kissing Gourami

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by taost12, Dec 30, 2012.

1. t

taost12 New Member Member

I need help finding some fun tank mates for a Kissing Gourami. I have found mostly conflicting information online about what sort of pals might work with him.

Current Tank Situation

Tank Size: 75 Gallons, Rectangle

Tank Inhabitants:
    *1 Kissing Gourami
    -appx 2-years-old, 5 or 6 inches long
    -He has lived by himself in this tank for 2 years.
    *1 Chinese Algae Eater
    -appx 3-years-old, 3 or 4 inches long, rather fat, likes to eat, not sociable
    -He moved into the 75 gallon tank from a 10 gallon tank two days ago.

Goal
    The Kissing Gourami isn't a very exciting fish. I want to liven up the aquarium! I used to have an Oscar in this tank and he was so much fun. When Oscar died, I buried him in my backyard :-( My sister got me the Kissing Gourami to take Oscar's place, but I haven't done much with him or the tank since then. I am ready to start again with new fish, but I don't know what types of fish to add. My goal is to make the aquarium more striking and fun to look at.

Any help or suggestions of tank mates would be greatly appreciated! I am looking for fish that will create a striking effect but won't out-grow or over-fill the space.

2. J

John14 Valued Member Member

I don't much about Kissing Gouramis but I bet you could do 4-5 Pictus Catfish (they are a schooling fish) and probably a large school of Tiger Barbs (6-10) That would give you a very striking affect Lots of movement from your Barbs (topwater) and your Pictus will scavenge the bottom of the tank constantly (bottomwater). These fish are all semi-aggresive but in a tank this size it should be perfect. You should also be able to keep your algae eater as well. This should leave your Kissing Gourami as the show piece of your aquarium. I'm actually tempted to do something similar to this in my 75 which is currently empty!

3. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

Your profile says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. If so, I strongly suggest you read up on it by clicking on the underlined name. It's crucial when keeping fish. Before you add anymore fish you want to make sure you tank is fully cycled and safe for new fish.

Kissing Gouramis are awesome! I love them. They are very sociable fish and love to have company of their own kind about. So I suggest getting one or three more. Don't get two more cause you don't want the odd one out to be beat up. And more than four in your tank won't be a good idea.

Good tankmates for Kissing Gouramis are loaches, barbs, larger tetras, a couple types of cichlids, and some catfish. I'm a bit wary with Pictus catfish but it is a possibility. Corries are much more fun in my opinion and they're always on the move. Gold Barbs and Rosy Barbs are two of my favorite barbs and they are also quite active and flashy. As for loaches I prefer Yo-yo loaches because they are just hilarious to watch. Their antics are harmless but quite amusing.

4. OP
    OP
    t

taost12 New Member Member

I am not great with keeping up with the nitrogen cycles. I just keep an eye on ammonia with test strips and only add one fish at a time (which isn't often) to make sure that I don't overload the system. I probably should be more informed as to the science and will check out the link.

I have a Yo-Yo loach in a smaller 55 gallon tank, he is my favorite! He is always nosing about and getting into things. He lives in a ship and nobody else can go near it :)

I have a cherry barb (same as rosy barb?); I could move him over to the 75 gallon one as well and see how he does. Do cherry barbs get along with Tiger Barbs? Also, how many should go together? I like the idea of barbs; they can hold their own.

Will the kissing gouramis fight each other? I have thought of adding more, but I was worried about fighting and injuring each other. Also, considering that the current one is so much older, would he get beat up by the new ones, or try to bully them because he is territorial? If I add 3 more kissing gouramis, can I still add other barbs and bottom-dwellers?

I like the Tiger Barbs, they do move around a lot! I had a few of them (5) in a smaller 10 gallon tank before, though, and I don't think it was enough space for them. They fought each other constantly, bit each others' fins off, and a couple died. I have been reading that they need to be kept in larger groups, so I like the suggestion of having 10 of them - that would be enough for them to have a fun community and hopefully not fight each other as much.

I am not familiar with the Pictus catfish - they do look cute, though! They would add liveliness and color. My concern with more bottom-dwellers is that they generally all want a cave, and the Algae eater has claimed the biggest one already. Once I had 3 Flying Foxes and they were so much fun! One lived in a ship, one lived in a coliseum, and the other in a cave. They each sat on top of their respective home and bounced around happily within their space. Whenever one of the others came too close, he would be chased off and back into his own territory. They were really fun to watch. I wonder if the Pictus catfish would be similar.

How would you compare the Cory Cat with the Pictus for this tank? I hadn't thought of putting bottom-dwellers in with the Gourami.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  5. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

The nitrogen cycle is usually a one time thing if you maintain it. You just need to cycle your tank once and then do regular waterchanges on the tank to keep nitrates down. Ammonia and nitrite are used up by the beneficial bacteria which are cultivated by cycling a tank. One of the tricks to keeping your tank cycled is not changing out the filter media. That's where the bacteria lives. Like I said, you should definitely read up on it. That link in my first post should help a lot. Test strips are practically useless in my opinion. They are rarely accurate and go bad quickly. Liquid test kits are the best by far. I use the API Master test kit.

Yo-yos love groups so you should definitely get some more. There are several types of loaches like clown loaches, chain loaches, pakistani loaches, etc.

Cherry Barbs aren't the same as Rosy Barbs but they are definitely cool. They also need groups of 6 or more to be happy. Cherry Barbs wouldn't do well with Tiger Barbs. Tigers are one of the more aggressive type of barb. Usually you want 6 or more barbs but I prefer to keep them in groups of 10 or more.

Kissing Gouramis don't normally fight each other without reason. When/if you get more you should get some the same size as yours. Your one might bully the new ones at first but I doubt it. Before you release the new Gouramis in the tank I suggest you move some things around like the plants and decorations. That will break up the territories which help when adding new fish. You can most definitely add more fish after the Gouramis. If you want more smaller fish then I suggest getting only one more Gourami. If you want the four large fish and just a couple smaller fish then get three more.

Honestly, I don't think Tiger Barbs are a good addition to any peaceful community tank. They are aggressive by nature so if you don't think you'll want to deal with that then I suggest not getting them. There are plenty of other similar fish which would be just as nice in their place.

Pictus are fun but I never really had a great experience with them. I do know people that have though! I'm just biased towards Corries because I love the little guys. They are not hiders at all if you have them in a proper school. They move a lot and are always bustling around looking for something to do.

6. J

John14 Valued Member Member

I love Pictus and would be one of the people who have had a good experience with them. They are schooling fish just like the Corries and because of thise will not each claim an individual cave, they swim more spastically and explore the tank more then Corries do, they also are very fast and go crazy when they are fed, they kinda get into a frenzy, they also get rather large, 4-6 inches, so they'll fill your tank nicely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice