Tank Mates For Flowerhorn

Discussion in 'Flowerhorn Cichlid' started by Brodie, Jul 20, 2017.

1. BrodieValued MemberMember

Hello all! My girlfriend has taken a liking to the Flowerhorn, and who could blame her?

They're absolutely beautiful and their behavior is truly unique.

Her and I plan on building what we call "dream tanks" far down the road. The Flowerhorn is being considered in her tank. However, all research I have done on them with tank mates is a no no.

I would like to direct you guys to check out (unless you already know him) the King of DIY on YouTube. He has a MASSIVE tank that is 2,000 gallons.

In it, he has a Arrowana, and some freshwater sting rays. For awhile, the Flowerhorn and Arrowana seemed to be friends. They swam around the aquarium together. In a recent video the Arrowana showed some dominance and the Flowerhorn has learned his place I suppose. So, besides the little conflict the Arrowana and the Flowerhorn had, does this tank only work because of the size?

Thanks for the responses in advanced :)

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Also because the flowerhorn is not large enough for the arowana to eat.

3. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

All fish in a tank together need to establish a pecking order, I believe that's all the arowana was doing with the flowerhorn. Frank was kind of up his butt for the first few days :) haha. If you have a large enough tank, I don't see why your flower horn couldn't have tank mates.

4. nib79Valued MemberMember

Although it is preferable to breed them both flowerhorns and arowana alone I do not think that in 2000 gal have space problems, rather make some photos of the huge aquarium.

5. OP
    OP
    B

BrodieValued MemberMember

Awesome! Thank you all for the replies and advice :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice