Tank Mates For Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tristen, Apr 22, 2018.

1. TristenValued MemberMember

I currently have a neon dwarf gourami sitting in a tank by himself. He was moved out of my other tank because he was getting nipped by my pineapple platy and was hiding cause he was scared. He’s now alone and I feel as though he needs some tank mates. I will be moving him into a 20 gallon when it’s cycles. Any recommendations? I have had fin nipping problems and don’t want any fish that will nip at him. I had a Molly nipping at him before but I moved the Molly out. Also he’s just been swimming back and forth at the front of the glass of the tank for hours anybody know why? Any good plant recommendations for him as well?

2. TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

Hello Tristen!

From what I know, cardinal tetras, neon tetras, kuhlii loaches, corydoras, otocinclus, and sometimes even smaller rainbowfish make great tank mates!

If you have had issues with fin nipping, I would personally stay away from tiger barbs, clown barbs, and possibly even guppies as these fish are notorious fin nippers. One notable fact is that male gouramis may also become territorial towards other male gouramis as well.

Water sprites are a fantastic plant choice for this fish as it provides cover for them since they like to hide. Hornwort and Anarchis are also great choices.

Good luck with the tank!

3. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Is it a long or tall 20 gallon tank?

A good plant is hornwort. Floating it on the top will make it easy for a DG to feel safe when he goes t9 get air.

4. TristenValued MemberMember

Thanks! Any idea on why my gourami won’t stop swimming at the glass?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  5. TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

A safe guess for that, in my opinion, could be stress. Especially considering that they were nipped at and bullied. Sometimes other factors such as improper water temperature and illness can cause this behaviour but I'm not sure if that's the case. They could also just be looking for a place to settle down as shelter. I would keep an eye on them for any other serious signs of an underlying issue such as lethargy, loss in colour, or damaged fins/open wounds.

6. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Pacing along the glass may be due to seeing their reflection, and also stress - seeing their reflection may also cause stress! Adding some more decor to the tank or some dither fish may help reduce this.