Tank Mates For Dwarf Pufferfish

FishLogger123456789

Reaction score
Hi, I have been researching Dwarf Puffers and I have heard that you could have Dwarf puffers with zebra danios and otocinclus. My data:

Dwarf Pufferfish: Temperature: 76-82 °(F), pH: 6.0-7.5, dH: 5°-20°, (Brackish water)
Otocinclus: Temperature: 70-78 °(F), pH: 6.5-8.5, dH: 6°-15°
Zebra Danio: Temperature: 65-75 °(F), pH: 6.0-7.5, dH: 5°-25°

Thanks for feedback

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Otos do not tolerate salt, so if you're keeping your puffer in brackish, that's a no go.

I've got a f8 puffer in brackish that I've got bumblebee goby and guppies with. Both those species do well in brackish

abarb

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Zebra danios should be in a lower temperature and as said above otos don’t do well with salt. So neither of them can be tankmates.
Which species of puffer are you talking about? Pea puffer or other?

jjohnwm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've got no experience with dwarf puffers, but everything I've read says this is a hard "no". Not just due to water conditions, but because of their temperament as well. I'll bet you have seen tons of similar cautions, so be careful.

If you look long and hard enough, you can eventually find someone who will tell you what you want to hear; you may want that source to be correct while all the others are wrong, but...what are the odds of that?

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
Completely agree with temperment.

I had my puffer solitary for a few months to moniter its temperment. Some of them are nasty. But mine is scared of his own shadow so he does well with others

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally, I wouldnt risk them with other fish. Think of them like a great white: Theyre not out to kill anyone, but a simple taste test or nip can cause SEVERE damage or death. Its not like having a particular Guppy that's a bully and the other fish just have to steer clear. If a Puffer nips ONCE at another fish, they can be missing a HUGE chunk of flesh or worse.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pea puffers can be bad tempered little suckers and do best in a species only tank. And puffers' water parameters are not just a suggestion - they will not live in the wrong water.
Other dwarf puffers (green spot, figure 8) require brackish to full salt water as adults, which enormously limits your choices. IF you found one that didn't want to fight, you MIGHT could keep it with a molly that can adapt to brackish and salt conditions. Other than that I'd say no way to tank mates.
If you want a puffer because puffers are cool, set up 20 gallon FOWLR saltwater tank and get a ValentinI puffer.

New Threads