Tank Mates For Bettas Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by BettaLover1, Mar 19, 2019.

1. BettaLover1

BettaLover1New MemberMember

Hi there. I have just recently moved my extremely curious and active crown tail betta to a 20 gallon tank, somewhat planted, and I have some basic questions as to appropriate but unusual tank mate options. I am looking to create a completely planted tank like the stunning green ones you see on google, so what tank mates would be recommended?

Otherwise just a quick ask here... does any LED lighting work for a planted tank?

I was looking at shrimp, and possibly snails... not sure what kind? Also other fish definitely.

2. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

Shrimp are likely to end up an expensive meal for the betta. Mystery snails in complimentary colors would be great. I've read about too many bloodbaths on here to recommend any fish at all. And the ones who don't get attacked by the betta could shred his lovely fins. In a Facebook group I belong to, one curious person tried putting his betta in with his African cichlids. He watched the for a bit, decided they were getting along fine, and went out for the afternoon. He came home to discover his lifeless betta shredded on the substrate. Sigh.

3. OP
    OP
    BettaLover1

Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate that.

4. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

5. OP
    OP
    BettaLover1

Interesting. Thank you as I was considering ghost shrimp.

6. sierrah766

sierrah766Valued MemberMember

Platys (especially in a 20) seem to always do well! I keep my boy with a couple of platys in a 10 and they seem very happy