Tank mates for betta

GusMcGrath202020

Hello everyone! I am helping my cousin set up a 10 gallon for her kids (through facetime) and I finally convinced her to put her betta in the 10 gallon instead of the half bowl they were keeping him in. She asked me what other fish to get to put with the betta and I'm not too sure about that. I was thinking a few guppies and a nerite snail or 2, but would this work? she said her tap water was 40kh, 40gh, and 7.5 ph. Thanks.

grac3

i would go with a trio of guppies and a nerite snail

Upvote 0

alven

I'd be careful with the guppies actually. I've heard of people doing bettas and guppies in larger tanks, but its not something I would personally do in a 10. A nerite would work well too.

Upvote 0

GusMcGrath202020

do you guys think the water is too soft for guppies?

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Definitely a nerite. You could do shrimp, too. I've heard of ghost shrimp getting eaten by bettas, but I feel like a lot of fish have bad eyesight and can only see a ghost shrimp when it's right in front of their faces. Others like cherries and amanos should be too big for the betta to try to eat anyway.

You could look into a school of dwarf cory catfish or (correct me if I'm wrong) oto catfish. They're mostly bottom feeders (though they will swim the water column when looking for things to munch on or when mating/playing) and are excessively peaceful.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I suggest that you do not try to keep guppies with a betta. Guppies can be finn nippy, and bettas have vulnurable fins.

New tanks often lack the algae that the wild caught ottos need to survive.

I recommend 6 lamb chop rasboras with the betta. if lamb chops are not available, the slightly larger Harliquin rasbora could work.

OR not and

a school of 6 dwarf or pygmy cories

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sokamix
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fiercebettas