Tank mates for betta

1. brhebert Member Member

I have an established 10 gallon tank that currently is only housing my male half moon betta and a black mystery snail. My betta Phelps doesn't seem too aggressive; he checked out the snail for 5 min then lost interest when I added the snail and when I had ghost shrimp he never bugged them. I currently have 1 java fern, scattered silk and smooth-edged plastic plants, and a large hallow piece of driftwood.
    I would like to add some tank mates and would like some ideas. I was thinking maybe neon tetras, ghost shrimp again, or an ADF or two. My betta isn't a very strong swimmer due to past injuries so I want something that won't overload my undergravel filter. I will eventually be adding more java ferns once this first one is more established to help maintain the bioload.

2. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello there and welcome to FishLore!

Sounds like you know your fish compatibility. All of your suggestions are good...ADFs, neon tetras, ghost shrimp. With the tetras, of course you want a school of them.

Curious...why the undergravel filter? Is it because your betta has had past injuries? I only ask because if you're going to add to your tank's bioload, you might consider upgrading your filtration.

Hope this encourages you somewhat and again, welcome to the forum.

3. brhebert Member Member

I have a underwater filter that has adjustable levels but it's still a little too strong for my betta so he would only stay on one side of the tank. I put him in this 10g so he could have plenty of room and not be stressed. I would like to keep just my undergravel filter so my Betta stays stress free =) for my three suggestions, which would be least stressful for him, won't overload my UGF, and how many can I introduce without overstocking?

4. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

If you're not going to add more filtration, of your three suggestions, only the ghost shrimp would work, IMO.

You might be surprised at how adaptable bettas are to flow conditions. They have a reputation of being weak swimmers, and they certainly can't hold their own when it comes to strong current. But they do adapt to gentle current, and in fact get stronger when prompted to swim. Unless your Betta has a physical deformity that prevents him in some way from swimming, he might adapt well to a GENTLE increase in current. I defer to more experienced Betta keepers here though (I hope soltarianknight chimes in!).

5. brhebert Member Member

Are there any more options other than the three I mentioned that would work?

My Berta pulled a Nemo earlier this year and injured his lower spine so that his tail only swims to the left, it doesn't bend to the right. He can swim around he just doesn't go very fast and he looks a little awkward doing it but he doesn't tire out after since he's learned to swim that way for a few months now. So I still want to stick with only the UGF.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I do not recommend tank mates for Bettas.

Ken

7. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Oh I see. Well, in that case, perhaps just enjoy him enjoying his new space in the 10 gallon! :;betta If your goal is to keep him stress free, you've done a great job. Why mess with success? And it gives you an excuse to get another tank :whistling:

And we love pictures here at FishLore! Do you have any of your betta that you can post? Also, does he have a name? My betta doesn't have a name, but when I first got him I just called him Fish :giggle:

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, if the goal is stress free. You could try some shrimp later on and see if he cares, or even a snail would work. Fish right now IMO would be a bad idea.

I have seen folks use purely UG filtration in a tank and have it work so I know it can be done, my only other thought would be to run a fully planted tank, then having anything else in there wouldn't be so much of an issue.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Also, id advise against ADFs, they dont make great tankmates with bettas. No ghost shrimp either, they may chew his tail since hes a slow swimmer, amano or bamboo shrimp would be ok though.

10. brhebert Member Member

How many shrimp?

11. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

One bamboo shrimp if you have a place for him to sit near the filter output as they filter nutrients out of the water column. If you have some algae for them the japanese ammano shrimp are great, and I would think easily 2 in that tank again provided you have algae for them to work on.

12. brhebert Member Member

I'm thinking a few ghost shrimp because they are inexpensive, I've cared for them before, and my Betta has lived with them do I know Phelps won't bug them. How many should I get?

13. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

id start with prob a half dozen or so and see if you get get a female that is carrying and start a small colony, that way if he bugs any you'll have a self sustaining shrimp colony (which can also double as feeders if you go away)

14. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

The issue is that ghost will chew on him, exspecialy due to his handicap