tank mates for betta in a 18 gallon tank.

1. TigerBarb64 Member Member

hello I have yet again changed my mind on getting shrimp cause we would have to go to far for them. anyway I want to put Cosmo (my betta)into my 18 gallon tank.I already have a bristle nose pleco in with Cosmo in the the 5 gallon tank and would like to have some peppermint corys in the mix in the 18 gallon tank. any suggestions....

2. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Hi! Welcome to fishlore!

You say you had you bristlenose in a 5 gallon? :O They need a much bigger tank, even more than the 18 gallon you have. If you want to keep him, I would suggest getting a bigger tank. If your betta doesn't mind other fish, cories would be a great addition! They're a lot of fun. Keep in mind that they need a school of at least 5

3. TigerBarb64 Member Member

he's only small, about one and a half Inches. Anyhow, I've moved my betta and bristle nose with four platies into my 18 gallon. I'm looking out for some peppermint corys and I'm still deciding on what small schooling fish I should get.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

With a pleco in that size tank, its going to be every other day or so water changes to keep the tank parimeters in check. They are huge waste producers even as small fish. Platies are pretty close when making messes. The smaller tanks are more difficult for sure. What are peppermint corys? Ive never heard of them. I would love to see a picture! :)

5. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I think tigerbarb is thinking pepper cories.

And I agree, these fish are very messy; the bristlenose should be upgraded asap

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you!

7. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I just noticed this... why is this thread in "funny stuff" ?