tank mates for angels

1. weljer61 Initiate Member

Hello all I have 2 angel fish in a 38 gallon tank and would like to know your opinions on some good colorful interative tank mates.

Thank you in advance,

Jeremy

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Platys, mollies, corys would all make excellent tankmates. There are also plenty of color choices with the platys and mollies and species choices with the cories.

Hope this helps!

3. kacie Member Member

Keyholes and cories

4. Borisbbadd Guest

Harliquins are nice.

5. Neji Member Member

You can put in community tropicals with angels :) just not the Cardinal Tetras or the Neons because angels will grow faster and bigger than the neons so they will probably end up being in the angelfishes' belly. You can put in Colombian Tetras, Black Skirt Tetras, danios (small but extremely fast) :)

I don't advise you to get the Buenos Aires tetras since they can be rough on fishes meaning they do chase other fishes around.

Plecos are good with angels, along with cat fishes. Any fish that has long fins aren't good since angels are attracted to fishes with long flowing fins. The only exception to fishes with long fins are danios since they are very fast and are usually kept as dither fishes to be with angels :)

Severums are okay if the severum is smaller than the angel, but even so there are still big risks since Severums are cichlids but it depends on the temper of the fish, I've kept severums before with angels but the angel was always bigger. I had a turquoise severum before with my angel but the only thing is that the severum grew bigger than my angel and then they were having a big mouth off fighting with each other so I had to move the severum to the other tank, and then my heater went crazy and heated my aquarium water up to 90ºF and then all of my fishes but the plecos, and the firemouth cichlid survived.

Anyways... lots of community fishes are great with angels :) and freshwater gobies too :)

6. weljer61 Initiate Member

Are other cichlids ok? I read that if kept in schols that wont nip at fins

7. kacie Member Member

Hi, Tetras, danios, corys should be kept in schools. Cichlids alone or in pairs/trios depending upon the cichlid. Get 6 corydora catfish and 6-8 of the recommended tetras and maybe one BN pleco and you have a beautiful community tank. kacie