Tank mates for a spiney eel? (small species)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mikerox29, Jul 9, 2015.

1. mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any reccomendations of fish to keep with one of the smaller more peaceful breeds of spiney eel?

Thanks

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What size tank?

3. OP
    OP
    m

mikerox29Well Known MemberMember

It will be in a 250 litre tank

4. Anders247

OK, what are you wanting in there with them?

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I think that's what he's wanting to know...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

Just nothing that'll fit in its mouth, or outcompete it for food. Spiney eels are amazing fish!

Do you want something big, school of fish, etc?

7. Anders247

I mean like what he's interested in, no use in recommending things he doesn't like.

8. OP
    OP
    m

Hi all, I am literally open to all opinions and reccomendations. I dont know much about spiney eels compatibility with other fish so i have no idea about stocking.

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ok apparently spiny eels get up to 18" so they wouldnt work in a 250L tank...

10. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Zigzag and peacocks both stay under 12".

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Still would not do those in a 250L tank, which is basically 66 gallons. You would need at least 125 gallons or so.

12. Anders247

Actually, due to their long snakelike body they don't need as much space as it may seem.....

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Because they are flexible and not as straight as fish? lol

14. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

I will also agree that a peacock, apparently stripped ones get larger, would be fine in a 60G tank. The problem with spiney eels is that there isn't a lot of information out there on them, besides a few common facts. Plus a lot of information is conflicted due to similar appearances in species.

I'll see if I can find the sites I used to read up on that gave decent info on common species, identification help, etc.

As far as mixing other fish, just remember these guys are mainly bottom dwellers, can be shy (so get them first and get them feeding before other fish are added), give them plenty of their own hiding spots, and use sand because they are scaleless and like to burrow. IMO, I would choose a mid-top schooling fish (may act as dither fish), nothing robust or too aggressive, so no tiger barbs or spastic species of tetras. I personally would only add a BN pleco for the other bottom dweller. The rest is up to you. I have also read that peacocks like to be in groups, unlike other species, so you could have a pair be the 'centerpiece' fish of the tank. If you don't want to do something like this, you can get a couple other non-aggressive fish. There could be numerous options. At least give us a type of fish you like, color, shape, anything.

15. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Right now i'm growing out a starry night and a zebra with a group of eastern rainbowfish. The starry night is out all the time and the zebra I have to hunt for it to see it. I've never kept zigzags but my peacocks have always been visible most of the time and i've kept them lots of different fish. And yes a stripped peacock could get to large for that set-up as they can reach 18 inches or so.

16. OP
    OP
    m

Well it will definately be a peacock and apparently it is extremely hard to sex them so would it be possible for a pair? Also, I like the idea of a school of medium sized tetras. Either way I am still getting the eel and if it starts to get to big i have no problem in buying another set-up for him.

17. OP
    OP
    m

I was wondering if there was any peaceful cichlids that could possibly work? I know these come from very different place but was thinking in terms of diet requirements and water parameters

18. Anders247

Perhaps the T-Bar cichlid, Cryptoheros sajica?

19. OP
    OP
    m

After some research I would like to know your opinion on the Flameback Cichlid (Pundamilia Nyererei)
    I have come up with this fish because of the below similar requirements:

Peacock Eel- PH- 6-8 Temp- 23-28 celcius
    Flameback Cichlid - PH- 7-8.5 Temp- 23-27 celcius.

From looking at this information it seems to me that these could possibly be compatible and I have a local breeder selling them at this moment in time (F1's)

20. Anders247

They're Victorian cichlids, not sure how they'd do with it.
    How about Rock Kribs? They are Victorians also, but less aggressive and should work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice