Tank Mates For A Slightly Aggressive Betta?

polarbearlovers
I have a male Butterfly Betta, Pegasus, in a 10 gal at my boyfriends. I have 2 cave-like decorations which he uses. The tank also has 2 Anubias plants with big broad leafs and good extensive roots, I have 1 floating and the other is not buried under substrate (just sits slightly above the substrate). Pegasus loves sitting on the leaves of the floating Anubias. He is also housed with 2 zebra nerites and a tiger nerite snail. Pegasus flares at the zebras pecks at them, managing to move them a few cm when they're on the glass. He flares at the tiger but I've never seen him peck at him.

I've decided to move Pegasus home, as the boyfriend has grown attached to one of the zebra snails and would rather I rehome the Betta than the snails...

The only tank I can house the Betta in at my house is a 20 gal and I really don't want to buy another smaller tank. I plan to fill the tank, maybe 3/4 full, get a 7.5 inch Asian gazebo decoration from Petco to put in the 20 and heavily plant with water wisteria and maybe lucky bamboo to grow partially emersed.
I was wondering if I can house him with anything else? The tank seems a tad big for 1 single fish and I wanted something to eat any algae or leftover food. Maybe with the bigger tank and more room, he'll tolerate snails? Try mystery snails? If he can't tolerate snails...he's unlikely to tolerate fishes...right?

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Peg01.jpg

Advertisement
polarbearlovers

Advertisement
Floundering_Around
I would go with nerites again. He'll most likely kill and eat any shrimp and any algae eating fish you try putting in there would probably get stressed with him harassing them
You might be able to get away with a school of fish if you put them in the tank first before adding your betta

Lynn78too
What a gorgeous fish! I wouldn't chance getting anything other than snails. Mystery and nerites are both good options. Mystery snails get larger but I personally think the nerite snails are prettier, though I have some of each. Get some plant that will flower when it comes out of the water or maybe some kind of floating water lily? You would need to check on what kind of water they would need, I'm not familiar with them at all.

Floundering_Around
Going off of what Lynn78too said, you have a great opportunity to aquascape this tank and plant it heavily or use some driftwood to make a minI jungle. Dwarf tiger lilies are available in bulbs at most pet stores and will fill in the tank and give it some nice shadow

MattS99
Is it a 20 long or tall? You could chance a school of something in a 20 long, just be prepared to find dead fish or re home the betta if he attacks.

polarbearlovers
It's a 20 tall. Yea, I don't think I'll chance it with fishes. I'll try with snails and if he too aggressive I'll put them back in my 60 gal. I like the dwarf tiger lily idea, the coloration is very pretty and shadows as the leaves reach the surface would give Pegasus some nice cover from strong lights, and I think they might flower given some time. Thank you everyone!

minervalong
Pegasus is beautiful!! I've kept bettas off and on for years, even if it was my only fish. Their personalities determine if they can even have tankmates. For example, I bought a pretty blue crowntail to centerpiece my 7g, no go. He harassed everybody else, even caught murderous Henry the 8th grab a platy by the tail and try to drag him around. He now lives alone. So, I got a halfmoon red the other day, looking for that centerpiece. Mikey wasn't bothering anybody, until my female swordtail who thinks she is the boss and pushes around the other fish when she is bored, tried it on him. Ha, he turned and flared, didn't go after her though. This has happened a couple of times and now she will go up to him, decide better and float off. Yep, I've found my community betta.

Upshot is, since your boy is the first and you are surely attached, be careful what you get, you might have to return them since you aren't gonna take Pegasus back. I'd try something that keeps low in the tank and is either a singleton or just a few just to make it easy for returning.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
e_watson09
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
StoneToucan