Tank mates for a jack dempsey

username

I have an electric blue jack dempsey, what kind of fish could I put in his tank?

giz23mo

a couple of regular jack dempseys.maybe the blue jack will find a mate and produce more electrics??

Jimold

I had dempseys a few years ago, and they killed off everything except one really tough Pleco

ABiondi

I just recently (about a month ago) got two jack dempsey's and they are with one convict cichlid who gets along fine and stays out of their way when their not in the mood. There is also a rather small in comparison clown pleco whom they don't bother. The plec is very territorial himself and i've noticed he catch's the dempsey's by suprise and they leave him alone. He's usually out of sight 98% of the time. I would imagine when they outgrow the convict he may be in trouble but before that I expect breeding and I'll remove all but the dempseys.

_AB_

Shrimpy

try oscars. I know I would

Jacko

A regular male or female JD would work and then you could breed them.

giz23mo said:
a couple of regular jack dempseys.maybe the blue jack will find a mate and produce more electrics??
This doesn't work because of the genetic makeup of the color morphs. To have EBJD fry you need to breed an EBJD with a JD, the resulting fry will be none or a few EBJD, then once these fry have matured breed them back across with the first EBJD and you will get half of them to be EBJD. If you put two EBJD's together it could prove fatal for both.

If it is still small (under 4") then you could have convicts or JD's or firemouths with them but once they are older it is best to keep them in a species tank with maybe a pleco that is about twice their size.

username

Shrimpy said:
try oscars. I know I would
I know oscars do work but so many people keep oscars and jack dempseys together

Jimold

I had an oscar and dempsey together, and they got along OK until they got big. Then both decided it wanted the tank to itself. I seperated them before they killed each other. I'm not sure who would have won, they're both mean tempered and tough as nails.

Personally I would go with a pair of dempseys. They're good breeders, and their blue color just screams when they start mating! The only problem I had breeding them is they get really skittish when they lay their eggs. And if you scare them they will eat the eggs (or babies). I ended up covering most of the tank with paper so nothing outside would startle them.

Butterfly

What size tank are we talking about?
Carol

Top Bottom