Tank mates for 10 gallon betta blackwater.

NearMeBettas

Since one of my boys passing, my divided 10 gallon housing 2 males has been housing a single male plakat betta, a nerite, and a mystery snail. I got bored with it and started converting it into a blackwater using some Indian almond leaves and mostly oak leaves (Which were easy to obtained sience its fall lol) and twigs. The tannins are leaching into the water, I can wait for that maroon! Questions:

1. Are water changes the same as if it were not blackwater or can to many remove all of my tannins?
  2. Can I run my filter as normal?
  3. Will the tannins have any offect on my betta or snails?
  4. What recommended tank mates, if any, should I add to my tank and when? I really wast ADFs

FoldedCheese

I can't speak on tankmates, but I can answer a few other questions.

1. It's only true blackwater if the parameters are also blackwater, so low pH and low kH and gH, otherwise it is a pseudo blackwater tank. To my knowledge weekly WCs would still be the same even in a true blackwater tank. I run a pseudo blackwater and it's the same. To really keep the dark tint you can make a blackwater extract to add to WCs if you want.

2. Yes you can run your filter as normal.

3. They won't negatively affect your betta or snails. The darker water will probably decrease stress and make your betta seem more chilled out. At least that's what happened when I first started adding botanicals to my tank.

Upvote 1

NearMeBettas

I can't speak on tankmates, but I can answer a few other questions.

1. It's only true blackwater if the parameters are also blackwater, so low pH and low kH and gH, otherwise it is a pseudo blackwater tank. To my knowledge weekly WCs would still be the same even in a true blackwater tank. I run a pseudo blackwater and it's the same. To really keep the dark tint you can make a blackwater extract to add to WCs if you want.

2. Yes you can run your filter as normal.

3. They won't negatively affect your betta or snails. The darker water will probably decrease stress and make your betta seem more chilled out. At least that's what happened when I first started adding botanicals to my tank.
Thank you for the help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
Replies
Views
peonyfoxburr
Replies
Views
bcsay720