Tank mates and advise for oscar

1. Jamie Boshier

Jamie Boshier Valued Member Member

As above really...
    Just wanting to do a lot of research and take time with regards to stocking this tank correctly. I have a few ideas but just want a few suggestions as to what tank mates will do well. Pics would be great! If not your advise is much appreciate.
    Also want just general tips for keeping oscars.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank is it?

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I don't know much about oscars so I'll try to give you my best advice. Oscars grow pretty big I think the get around 6-8 inches. They need a pretty large tank, many people say bigger than a 55 gallon is good. Oscars are carnivores so they are really messy. You will need some really good filtration for these guys. I don't really know what kind of tank mates are good with an oscar but I would say anything that is the same size as him. I've seen people put 1 oscar and a jack dempsey together which seemed fine. You can try other big fish. Hope this helps

4. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

Tank size will be 6ftx2.5(wide)x2

And I have already taken into consideration what filtering I need.
    Just after some top tips and also different ideas on tank mates

5. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

Junebug?

6. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Jamie Boshier <-- FYI this is how you tag someone if you need an answer from a specific person :)

By the calculator I found, that is 225 gallons. Is that correct?

7. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

That's correct. And thanks :)

8. C

CucumbersInBrine New Member Member

Oscars get considerably bigger than 8 inches, 16-18 inches at maturity is closer. The only tankmates that will work are fish than cannot fit in the oscar's mouth, and fish that can deal out a good bit of punishment themselves. For a 225g you could do 2-3 oscars, or 1 oscar with 1-2 other large SA/CA cichlids. You will need to watch closely for things to get too aggressive, sometimes the fish need to be "put in timeout". I used a divider made from eggcrate to separate my two Jags when things got too rough.

9. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

My Oscars were with Firemouths, BR Parrots, JD, Convicts, and a pleco. They were actually the best behaved fish in the bunch.

10. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

Looking at the possibility of a green terror maybe two... Opinions?

11. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

And thanks Amanda, really excited for this tank! Will look up fire mouths as I don't know a lot about them!

12. M

Mybubbles New Member Member

Hello! Never kept oscars but have seen them in fully grown state as my friend keeps them in a 150 gallon. He keeps 2 oscars and a few Large South american cichlids. I looked up on the compatibilty chart and then can only really go with loaches, their own kind and south american cichlids so there highly aggressive fish.

13. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

They're probably the least aggressive large cichlid you can own, tend to be very docile if kept in a large tank. I couldn't keep GT's alive for the life of me.

14. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I would love to see a 18 inch oscar. They really will not reach 1' 6'' in length. They will grow to over a foot though. And they are messy, and not really all that aggressive. They are also not carnivores. They are more insectivore than anything. Although they will eat other fish. And if you watch Youtube, will also eat mice. So I suppose you could call them a carnivore. But the interpretation of that term is misleading when it comes to Oscars.

You could keep other larger SA or CA cichlids with them. You will need a large tank to keep tankmates with them. Plecos, Tin foil barbs, silver dollars, bala sharks, clown loaches, bichirs, flag tails, arowana, stingrays. There are lots and lots of options as long as the tank is big enough.

15. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

My Oscar was about 15" when he passed. He is in my Sig. I kept him with a JD and a Jaguar cichlid.

16. OP
    OP
    Jamie Boshier

What was the problem with the terrors?

17. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

GT's often have issues with internal parasites.

18. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I had a 15-16" oscar for a long time. We actually bought him when I was really little, gave the tank away to my aunt with him in it and then YEARS later she gave us the tank and him back. He was huge! He was the first fish we ever had that we had to bury instead of the normal flush.

If I ever have a big tank and had a desire to deal with their mess I'd have 3 or 4 oscars.