Tank Mate Ideas For A Female Betta, Kuhli Loaches, And Ghost Shrimp?

1. KaitlynR

KaitlynR Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone!

Currently have my 37 gallon stocked with a female betta (who is community friendly- was in a 10 gallon community with the kuhlis and CPDs and dario dario), 6 kuhli loaches, and 8 ghost shrimp.

Any ideas for other tank mates? :) I'd like a school of something but I know some tetras can be nippy (i.e. black skirt tetras).

I like the way blushing white skirt tetras look but was worried they might be nippy. I also like glowlight tetras and harlequin rasboras.

If not a community- is a sorority possible with the kuhlis in the bottom? Also I'm aware the shrimp may be eaten by other females but they were only a couple dollars so I wouldn't care.

What would you choose to add to the tank? :)

Edit: I should mention the water is extremely hard/alkaline.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

A sorority is possibble but I would quarantine each betta for a few months to make sure they aren't aggressive. You'll need a minimum of six females and tons of live plants.

Good luck :D

3. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

Thanks!! Always wanted a sorority :)

4. Discus-Tang

BTW, what is your pH? You said it was high.

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I would do as many females as you can fit to diffuse aggression.

Another compatible species of fish would be harlequin rasboras. They contrast most bettas with an orange and black coloration.

If you want something really orange, ember tetras will work beautifully with your girls!

I have both species in my sorority.

6. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

What is your tank size?

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

37 gallons.

OP, if you haven’t already, I would suggest heavily planting the tank.

8. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

Oh yeah I’m sorry I am tired must’ve missed the first line:) Back on topic how about a school of cardinal tetras?

9. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Highly reccomemd the embers!

I would consider upping the kuhli school as well, in groups over ten they become very active! Consider getting 10 or so and really see their cute antiques.

10. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

EDIT: Jeez my head! Its 1am and I noticed it said 37gallons! I need to sleep.... OOPS! Ill just keep the tip then that have a backup plan. If you want a community you can do some slow moving fish with no flashy colors or long fins wit her.
    EDIT 2: Ill just delete what I said so you dont get confused... Anyway the loachs come out at night so the female bettas shouldn't bother them. I need to go to sleep before I cause more confusion on here...

11. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

Okay so I want to up my kuhli loach count but here's the problem. My pet store here only carries the black ones! And I did a lot of research that basically says "yeah, they might huddle together, but they prefer their own species". I'll have to do some digging to find the ones that are right!

Right now its at 8.2, the lowest it's ever been. Thank you, driftwood. lol.

Getting some IAL soon too.

Tank has a bunch of new plants in it :) Going to wait for them to grow a bit before I add any other fish.

12. Discus-Tang

if you live within an hour of a large airport you'll be a'ight ordering them online.

13. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Assume you currently have the striped kuhlies?

Got them both (actually have 3 in one tank...) in a 64g, and even though they prefer hanging out with their own species, the increased number just by having more kuhlies is extremely worth it, as they are more likely to come out abd not feel threatened by it.

Treat it like kuhli dither fish for other kuhlies.

Get a small gang of black kuhlies (I'd reccomend at least 6, but i probably would bump up the school to around 8 or so just so they arent the same - nature isn't even after all, so i tend to like breaking things up a bit! (Odd numbers for me however is a no go!)

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't mess with the pH. Yours is fine, I'd say ideal, even. A higher pH is better.

15. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

in a 37 gallon, am i safe to do two schools of kuhlis? I have 6 striped (aka normal kuhlis), so would 6 black kuhlis be safe? i don't want to overdo it is all :)

Thanks! I haven't ever used any kind of chemicals or anything in the tank, just regular driftwood i made/diy-ed myself. however i've been wanting to get IAL for the tank just because of how much i love the tannins in general :p