Tank Maintenance/film on top of water

Jeenyus

Reaction score
HI guys,

I've had my tank for about a month now, and for some reason the top of the water is constantly getting a gross film on it.  It's almost as if the top of the water has a dust layer on it.  I've tried completely cleaning out the tank, changing filters, removing 20% and refilling it, and nothing seems to work.  I'm not sure what else I can do, or if there is anything I can do.  Any suggestions you may have would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, and welcome to Fish Lore

Well, what size is your tank? What filter do you have on (or in) it? How many gallons per hour does your filter pump? If you don't know, you can check this on a box in which the filter came, OR you can search your filter online and see the number there. Do you have an airstone in your tank, or any other device oxygenating the water?

Besides, how many and what fishies do you have in your tank?

Peter243243

Reaction score
I haven't even heard about something about that. ??? ??? ???

Also welcome to Fishlore!

OP
J

Jeenyus

Reaction score
HI again guys,

Thanks for the welcome ...I have a 10 gallon tank w/ 3 fish, and a Whisper Junior filter which I think pumps 90 gph. I had a bio bag with carbon rocks in it, but I switched out the rocks and replaced them with ammonia rocks instead...thinking that might help. The filter does circulate the top of the water somewhat, but after looking into older forum questions (answered mostly by you Isabella), I think that my next step will be to get an air stone. It's been driving me crazy trying to find out what is causing the film. Would you agree that I should get an airstone? Thanks for your help!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For a tank to have good filtration, the filter should pump at least 10 times the volume of a tank per one hour. But if your filter pumps 90 gallons per hour, that's still OK, I suppose. The reason for film accumulating on water surface can be stagnant water (not enough circulation) or not enough oxygenation. An airstone (or a powerhead) help water circulation and should help eliminate any film on water's surface. I think for a tank as small as 10 gallons, an airstone should be enough. Large tanks usually have the more powerful powerheads for good water circulation and oxygenation.

If your water quality is good - i.e., you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, and low (or none) nitrate - then I don't think you really need any "ammonia rocks" in your filter cartridge. I presume the "ammonia rocks" are to remove ammonia from the water? Do you have any ammonia in your water? Otherwise, as I have said, if the water is good, you don't really need any "ammonia rocks", and you can use activated carbon as usual.

P.S. What are the 3 fish in your tank?

OP
J

Jeenyus

Reaction score
Thank you so much Isabella, I put an airstone in my tank and am happy to report that I no longer have any film at the top of the water! Thanks again!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also if the tank is near the kitchen a film can settle on the water after cooking. Glad the increased circulation solved your problem.
Carol

New Threads