Tank Maintained For A Week On Vacation, Livestock Not Looking Good Help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by SamAPFish, Jul 19, 2019.

1. SamAPFish

SamAPFishValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    3 years
    So basically I left my reef tank for a week and I just came back. I found my acropora Half bleached, way way way more cyano bacteria than I had before, a ton of algae, my acan coral almost dead, and my birdsnest coral almost dead. What do I do now?

2. Fishproblem

FishproblemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +73
    Experience:
    3 years
    For a start, get this thread moved over to the saltwater forums! I don’t think you’ll get too many answers here on the freshwater side.

However, check your parameters first. Are they off from where you usually keep them? If so, my understanding is that you should start dosing to slowly (slowly!) get things back on track. I think some experienced saltwater people can help a bunch, like @stella1979! (Hope she doesn’t mind the tag)

3. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Experience:
    1 year
    Did you have it on an autofeeder while you were gone? They do have a tendency to overfeed (especially the cheaper ones). Or did you have someone feed for you while you were gone?

4. xiholdtruex

xiholdtruexWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +511
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Like Jesterrace said did you feed while gone? size of tank? filter system?wereyou dosing the tank?

not knowing any of this, this is my standard procedure when I have issues like that.

I would take a sample of the tank water first and get your parameters. once you have those get ready for a water change, remove as much algae by hand as possible and change 25-50% of water depending on peramters and dose with seachem prime to protect the live stock. Get ready for the fun part of helping the tank recover.

water changes make the world go around. seachem Prime protects those in our glass boxes from ammonia lol