Tank location

1. SilverMIssy

SilverMIssy Valued Member Member

Hello,

My fish tank is located a little over 2 feet away from a fireplace. As it is summer the fireplace is off but come winter the temperature severally drops in my apartment and the fireplace must be turned on because it is just too cold without it. In winter, the fireplace temperature is set to 20C.

Is the tank too close to the fireplace? Should I move my tank come winter?

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

20C is still too cold for your tank, so I'm assuming you'll have a heater in your tank. If you're worried about your tank getting too hot, I don't think that'll be an issue.

EDIT: How big is your tank? Unless it's tiny, I don't think ambient heat from a nearby fireplace should have a significant effect on your water temp.

3. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

Yes, I have a heater And it's set to 78f. My tank is 10 gallons. The fireplace doesn't usually stay on long since it just kicks on to keep 20C in my small apartment stable but I still want to be cautious.

4. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I would definitely move your aquarium further away from the fireplace. You will have noticed that if the fire is sufficient to heat a room, a spot 2 feet from the flame is going to be too hot for your tank. Also, your tank will be heated unevenly, causing the glass to expand more at one end then at the other, which may or may not be a problem, depending on the difference in heat.
    Generally, it is alot easier to keep your tank in an area with stable temperatures, as this makes it easier to set your heaters in a manner that will keep the tank at a fairly consistent temperature of your choice.----rick

Oops, disregard or amend the above;:). If you have a gas fireplace controlled by a thermostat, you should be ok, depending on the area of the room you heat in order to get it comfortable; I was thinking of a wood burning one. Still, you should test it now and see if there is a significant difference between a spot 2 feet away and 4 feet away, and note just how hot these places are. Also, how far away from the flame is the thermostat?
    The airtight that I use at my cottage is uncomfortable to be near within 2-3 feet, which it needs to be to get the rest of the room cozy:). And this often includes August:)--mornings, anyway. Sorry for having missed the gas fired bit. rick

5. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

i don't recommend putting your tank that close to your fireplace, I have a vent cause I have central air in my house and I didn't put my tank there either. due to the change of temp constantly. IMO, don't put it near the fireplace

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with the above regarding the heat/temps, etc. Also because the fireplace will have some soot and other residue that you probably will not see that may get inside your tank which can be dangerous to your fish.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed with Junne, soot and ashes, also random pieces of wood flying around might somehow end up in your tank and that would be dangerous for the fish.

8. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Is this a pellet stove? Or is it a regular fireplace with a gas insert? Or is it a gas heater? Or is it a gas-fired fireplace-looking device with ceramic "logs" in it? Or is it an all-electric device of some kind?

9. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

It's a gas fireplace with ceramic logs and glass cover. I don't find intense heat comes out of it. You have to be directly In front of it to feel the heat (the tank is 2 feet to the side of it). I'm not sure if it's because it's old or if the fan on it is not great but it blows the heat slowly.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438802743.697681.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438802776.677414.jpg

10. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I would leave it where it is. Obviously keep an eye on it when it cools off and you get the fire place going. If you find that the gas fire place does increase the water temp then you'll need to move it. But until you know it is a problem, why go through all the trouble of moving it. The water will not increase in temperature fast enough for it to have any serious effects on your fish. I would wait and see if it's an issue before doing anything.

11. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Agree with others, your tank will be fine where it is. I'm sure you already know this, most of the heat produced by that gas fireplace is going up the flu.