Tank Lighting & Reflectors? Help

1. VenomGrass Member Member

:;hi1
    My tank is a Juwel 600: I have a 15W Juwel Light (default) and was wondering whether to buy a new light with a higher wattage or to simply install some reflectors from juwel.

Please advise on how effective reflectors are as opposed to a new light. I don't know which way to go about it to get a better lighting system in my tank.

:;thx

2. mathas Well Known Member Member

There really isn't an easy way to answer that, because there are too many variables involved. A good reflector might benefit you more than a cheap light fixture, and a good fixture should benefit more than a cheap reflector.

If you can give us an idea of what you're trying to achieve (what plants if any, tank dimensions, current lighting type, etc.) we might be able to provide some specific advice.

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

So currently you have about one watt per gallon provided by a single T8 fluorescent tube.
    That's enough for low-light plants.
    As Mathas said, if we can get an idea of what precisely you want to put in there, we'll get a better idea of what you'd need to do.

4. VenomGrass Member Member

I just want it to look nicer and more bright so I can see my fish better. I dont know much about changing lighting so any help is greatly appreciated :)

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

If you just want to make it brighter, there are two things to try:
    First of all, make/buy a reflector. I don't know about the setup of the Juwel 600, so I don't know how easy it would be to make one, but there are many different ways you can build one.
    Second, try different types of tubes. There's the typical fluorescent tubes, which is pretty poor when it comes to lighting the fish up. There are daylight tubes and all sorts of different colorations. At least one brand has a little key on the sides of the packages that tell you what impact they have on the aquarium, both appearance-wise and functionality-wise.

6. VenomGrass Member Member

Hmm I might buy some Juwel reflectors. Do they make a decent difference? I wish I could see a pic of a tank before and after :p

7. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Well, figure that close to half of the light is lost currently. Some will bounce off of the non-reflective surface of the current hood, but not a ton.
    Add a reflector, and you can reduce that to one third, one fourth, or even less of the light being lost, depending on the quality of the reflector.

8. VenomGrass Member Member

I'll order the reflectors :) Can only try I suppose hehe

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

You may as well try. :)

Like SDS said, you're probably losing a lot of the light you have to the hood on your tank. A reflector might be a great choice for you. If that doesn't work the way you want it to and you're handy, you may be able to find a retrofit kit of some kind to increase your lighting.

10. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks :) Ill post pics of before and after when they come.

11. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Hi VG, i have a juwel rio 240(you have a rekord 60 i believe) mine has the new highlite system in it. You might want to try and see if you can upgrade to the hihglite tubes which keep the t8 fitting but give you t5 lighting. It's 150% brighter than the normal juwel lighting, but i'm not sure if they upgrade on the rekords due to the hood. Good luck

Nick

12. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks Nick I'll contact Juwel :)

13. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Try your LFS they should be able to tell you, but if they are a juwel stockist they will have a brochure. Here is a link too their web site.

www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/index you can change the language from german to english at the bottom right of the home page.

Good luck
    Nick