Tank levelling. How perfect does it need to be?

Ahezza123

Hi guys, my tank is 500l.
It’s 5 foot long
2 foot tall
2 foot deep.
My tank level is perfect from side to side.
My front to back is slightly out. The water level sits at 4mm difference. Is this worth worrying about? I worked it out to just under 4 litres of water difference so not exactly a strain is it?

PAcanis

I can't speak structurally, but on my rimless tanks with a back wall sump that holds the filter and all that, a little bit not level could mean the difference of the overflow not working when the filter intake gets debris in it.

My last few tanks have been plumb front to back and side to side.

Ahezza123

Yeah my sump is below so not really an issue. I’m thinking more structurally. But 0.2 inch front to back off I’m guessing isn’t really worth worrying about?

PAcanis

I can see something that is almost 1/4" out of plumb over a short distance.
So it would drive me nuts whether the tank's corners had excess pressure or not.

But I'm particular that way.

Ahezza123

Well I’ve worked mine out that it’s 1/5th inch out but doesn’t bother me I just want to know it’s safe

PAcanis

1/5"? Sounds about right.
.187 is 3/16 and .25 is 1/4". That would be about 1/5.

MrBryan723

That small of a difference isn't going to harm anything side to side. If it were that over the front and back, it would be a potential issue.
1/5"? Sounds about right.
.187 is 3/16 and .25 is 1/4". That would be about 1/5.
4mm is closer to .157" and 5mm is very close to 1/5", or .2".

PAcanis

That small of a difference isn't going to harm anything side to side. If it were that over the front and back, it would be a potential issue.

We were doing metric conversions?
OK...

MrBryan723

Well, it's a 500 liter tank that's 4mm off, thats 5 feet, by 2x2 feet ... so I kinda thought so.

Ahezza123

It is front to back it’s off. Side to side is perfect

ALS

So that's a pretty large tank. The bigger they are the more accurate you should be on leveling due to the stress of all that weight. It's worth it to buy some plastic shims and shim the low spot. Make sure you shim evenly as you dont want non uniform stress on any spots. Once it's filled it will be far to heavy to shim without draining. After shimming you should fill and recheck it as the floor will distort slightly under the weight so you may have to drain and over/under shim to compensate. I try to get mine to within a tenth of an inch of perfect. I had a tank of that size fail do to improper shimming so I take it much more seriously than when I started out.

JeremyW

So that's a pretty large tank. The bigger they are the more accurate you should be on leveling due to the stress of all that weight. It's worth it to buy some plastic shims and shim the low spot. Make sure you shim evenly as you dont want non uniform stress on any spots. Once it's filled it will be far to heavy to shim without draining. After shimming you should fill and recheck it as the floor will distort slightly under the weight so you may have to drain and over/under shim to compensate. I try to get mine to within a tenth of an inch of perfect. I had a tank of that size fail do to improper shimming so I take it much more seriously than when I started out.

How did you narrow down the cause to improper shimming?

ALS

Bottom seal failed with a boom. Once I had it empty I was able to rock the tank back and forth slightly which made me realize the floor wasn't touching the stand evenly.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jmaldo
  • Question
Replies
Views
ForceTen
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fishfriendof315