Tank Leaking Or Normal?

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I had an issue with a tank I was setting up, where I thought it was either leaking or it was the filter leaking, so I decided to exchange the filter and the tank.
I have the tank home, fill it up for a day to see if it leaks. I really didn't notice anything leaking, so I go to dump out the water from the tank, as it's not treated / fish suitable, and it starts leaking out from the corners on the bottom! I am not sure if this is normal behaviour for an aquarium or I just have a poorly made tank!

Help please!
Thank you.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tanks shouldn't leak. It could be guaranteed. If new, contact the store you purchased it from.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Leaking tank is not normal, if under warranty take back if not reseal or get another one. What size is it?

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s a 10 gallon and I’ve been out of fish keeping for a while so I was pretty sure it was not right but just needed to make sure. It didn’t leak until I dumped out the test water. I’m having zero luck getting this tank up and running. I think maybe I should just call it quits at this point haha

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wrs2 said:
It’s a 10 gallon and I’ve been out of fish keeping for a while so I was pretty sure it was not right but just needed to make sure. It didn’t leak until I dumped out the test water. I’m having zero luck getting this tank up and running. I think maybe I should just call it quits at this point haha
what do you mean by leaking when you dumped out the test water? You dumped out the test water and refilled with treated water and it leaked?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RonJ said:
what do you mean by leaking when you dumped out the test water? You dumped out the test water and refilled with treated water and it leaked?
If you dumped the water by carrying the tank filled (assuming glass tank) that is not recommended. Even a ten gallon. It can stress the seams. IMHO

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gypsy13 said:
If you dumped the water by carrying the tank filled (assuming glass tank) that is not recommended. Even a ten gallon. It can stress the seams. IMHO
Yes if you moved the tank while full. Can cause leakes or cracks of the glass.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
When you dumped it are you sure water did not get into the plastic trim on the bottom and maybe that is where you might be seeing the water come from. I would let it dry real good and fill it up again making sure not to spill any water, and let it sit for 24 hr. I like to spread out newspaper under it so I can easily see any leaks. Or go to Walmart and get another one they have them for $14.00 and change.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It wasn’t full, it only had about an inch of water left in it. And I made sure not to spill it when filling so there shouldn’t have been anything in the rim.
I’m just going to exchange it today at PetCo. It had a jagged part in the rim anyways and I cut myself on it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom