Tank Leaked...clean Up & Damage Control

1. M

Minniefish Valued Member Member

We have a 30 gal tank. Came home yesterday and 1/4 of the water was still left. It was dripping onto the heating and filter cords, near the outlet. So thankfully, no house fire. Just damaged hardwood floors. I scooped the fish up & put them into the back up 10 gallon tank. Of course, it isn't filtered. And didn't have time to properly transition. The fish do appear fine, but 10 gallons is a bit small. We have 3 mickey mouse (about 1.5-2 inches long) & 4 danio glos (about 2-2.5 inches long).

I'm not going to try to save the tank. I don't want to risk it leaking again. Plus, the stand is ruined from water soaked into it as well. I have no where else to put a tank besides my kitchen counter. My kids have lost interest in the fish & don't plan to get anymore fish. So what is the best plan for a tank? Just keep in the 10 gallon and let it recycle? Something else? Maybe see about rehoming the fish somewhere else?

I called insurance to file a claim with the hardwoods. It was about 20-ish gallons soaked into the wood. It smells like fish nastiness downstairs. What can I do to get rid of the smell in the wood until we can hear back from the insurance adjuster? We have cleaned & mopped the area, running a dehumidifier, box fans, and ceiling fans non-stop. My hope is we can just replace all of the wood since the water contained fish germs and fecal matter.

Any thoughts would be great! I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right area....so please feel free to move.

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Sorry about the accident. I hope this doesn't turn you off fishkeeping forever.

I had a leak in my 4ft tank when I purchased it 2nd hand and I quite easily resealed it with silicone and I haven't had a problem since. This might be worth considering, let me know if you want more details.

If you are truly not interested in setting up the tank again then I would suggest using a local ad website to rehome the fish.

Perhaps you might like to get a betta for your 10 gallon tank, these fish are great and fairly easy to take care of.

I don't have any advice about the hardwood, hopefully somebody else will.

3. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

Vinegar for the floors. It'll remove the smell... or the quikdry stuff used for soaking up spills like oil etc, I had a similar incident when a pump malfunctioned and my sump poured out about 80 gallons.. it was carpet over hardwood. Put the quikdry down for a day and vacuumed the next, totally dry no warping or odor. You can find it at home depot/lowes/ace etc

4. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

White vinegar diluted will remove the smell and bacteria, etc from your hardwood floors.

5. OP
    OP
    M

We aren't turned off to fish keeping forever. The kids are uninterested in the fish & has turned into a chore for us parents. We already planned to just let the fish live a good life & not replace when they naturally die. Since the 30 gal is done for I can't justify keeping 7 active fish in a 10 gal tank nor can I justify spending $200-300 on a tank/stand on a hobby my kids have outgrown. So, they'll stay in the 10 gal until I can find suitable home for them. I already posted on some BSTF sites. I hope I don't sound totally heartless.

3 Mickey's in the 10 gal has got to be better than 7 total in a 10 gal. I can see they are stressed out. I didn't have time to set it up nicely either since I was in a rush to get them transferred before the water was gone and stop the water. No gravel or anything on the bottom. Bare decor. No cycle media.

I honestly don't have the energy to reseal the tank. I'll donate it to someone who wishes to reseal it though :D

6. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

No judgement here, it's your desicion. Good luck though!

7. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Donate it to me!!!!!!!!!!
    I got a fully equiped 36 gal tank for like literally a quarter of his price and when I did a leak test I saw a small leak, I thought I was done (I dont trust in my DIY abilities LOL), anyways, I looked up on internet for resealing tutorials and I did it sucesfully, no leaks now.
    We respect your decision on not wanting to keep fish and I praise it, it does sound a little mean to the fish but it is the best for them. I know so many people that buy Bettas or other fish just because their kids had a tantrum at the pet store and never really care for the fish. It is a good move to be true to yourself and just rehome them.
    Good luck!

8. OP
    OP
    M

My oldest had bought the first and majority of the stuff with her own money. We had no idea we'd still have fish 2-2.5 years later! And fish that had babies (our 3 mickey's were born to us & got the 30 gal with anticipation of more no such luck in 18 months since they were born).

So it's considered black water contamination by insurance! Since fish carry diseases and water had fish waste in it (fair enough).

How long would you keep all these fish in a 10 gallon? How much would you sell used fish gear for? Large decor pieces, small plants, brand new filter & heater, misc nets, cleaning stuff, API master testing kit. 10 gal tank with filter & heater also.

9. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

3 Platys? I think that they would be happy in a well decorated and planted 10 gal.
    I don't know, selling used stuff is horrible because most of the time it has to be cheap or they will not buy it. I also live in Mexico so prices can vary.