Tank Issues - Rcs, Nerite, Cpds, Diatoms

Dori.anne

New 10 gallon tank that has been set up since late January, cycled since early February.
- Until about a month ago the tank had two nerite snails in it: A good size zebra, and a small bumblebee.
- About 4 weeks ago I added 6 red cherry shrimp. For the first few weeks shrimp seemed to do well - I think the three females all were berried, and there were several molts in the tank over 2-3 weeks.
- 2 1/2 weeks ago added 3 celestial pearl danios (all that LFS had left), and one week later added additional 5 CPDs. (FYI - when I added the initial CPDs I also added additional cycled media to the filter). Now total 7 CPDS.

SHRIMP PROBLEMS: Over the past week I have lost all of the RCS (I think). Found 4 dead, about 1 per day, never found the last two. Partial water change today and took out several items to rinse diatoms off of, but did not find any shrimp. 1 1/2 weeks ago I did spot 2 tiny shrimplets in the tank, but never saw more (not surprised if CPDS ate the shrimplets). The first three dead shrimp seemed to have molting problem - they had the recessed white belt around middle. The 4th one I found was harder to tell - may have had a faint line. I added cuttlebone to the water after the first shrimp with the problem.

NERITE PROBLEM: Yesterday the little bumblebee nerite was found upside down . I turned him over, but he hasn't moved yet. I know I should do a sniff test, but at the moment I'm a little squeamish about that. The zebra nerite seems his usual self - active and eating for a day or two and then rests for a day, repeat.

CPDs -possible issue?: The CPDs mostly all seem to be doing well, with one possible issue. A few days ago one of the smaller ones had a white, stringy poop. I haven't noticed that symptom on any other CPD, nor on that one again. Of course I'm nervous about possible parasites though. They all seem active and are eating, and their colors have come out. I thought about treating with medicated food just to be safe, but instead today decided to be more conservative and fed blanched peas soaked in garlic guard. Other than that one poop though, I have not seen any other concerning symptoms in the CPDs.

Current tank parameters:
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5
ph: 7.8 (holding steady)
kh: 80-120
gh:180
(kh and gh I test with strips so possibly not accurate)
partial water changes - 20-25%/week (last one today)

FOO Note about feeding - CPDs are usually fed hikarI micro pellets. However, the week before the shrimp started dying I twice fed the CPDs frozen brine shrimp - which they loved, but I DID overfeed (was still getting used to how little to feed them, and how much brine shrimp can exist in a tiny chunk). I also did not remove the uneaten brine shrimp (in retrospect a bad idea) because it was recently after discovering the tiny shrimplets and I was afraid I'd suck out baby shrimp in the process. I noticed the RCS eating the leftover brine shrimp. That was 4 or 5 days before the shrimp started dying. Not sure if that is related, but I mention it because I have read that a high protein diet can cause molting issues with shrimp. As I struggled to get the correct amount to feed the CPDs over the first couple weeks, the RCS definitely had much more protein available to them.

The other issue with the tank is a diatom bloom going on now. It's not a big deal, and I'm not too worried as I just try to clean it off when I do water changes, but it is causing some problems with the anacharis in the tank. I am getting some nice new growth at the top of the anacharis, but the mid part is getting covered in diatoms and those leaves are dying.

So that's my story! Looking for any feedback, especially regarding what happened with RCS and possibly dead nerite, and whether you agree I shouldn't medicate CPDs for parasites.

Thank you.

ashenwelt

With diatoms, I pull the anacharis, shake gently to remove shrimp and then rinse and rub off the diatoms, then rinse again. I rinse with hydrigen peroxide. Cleans diatoms like nothing. Then I place back in the tank.

Dori.anne

With diatoms, I pull the anacharis, shake gently to remove shrimp and then rinse and rub off the diatoms, then rinse again. I rinse with hydrigen peroxide. Cleans diatoms like nothing. Then I place back in the tank.

Thanks for the tip. I was trying to avoid uprooting them, but I can't really clean the diatoms off otherwise.

Dori.anne

So my little nerite hasn't moved since I turned him over Monday (4 days). Last night I took him out and tried to look closely and smelled him. I didn't smell anything, and his trap door is still shut, so I put him back in. But he's never not moved for more than a day though, so I doubt he is still alive. He's really small. Is it possible I wouldn't smell anything if he was dead? I had two of my coworkers sniff too ( tank is at work).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KaitlynR
  • Question
Replies
Views
Willow84
  • Question
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1