20 Gallon Tank Tank isn’t cycling

Sherbet

Overview: my tank hasn’t started the cycle at all, it’s been a month. I don’t know what’s wrong!!

i have attempted to cycle it twice. I tried th first time and it was never starting, and it eventually grew some type of fungus.

my second attempt i started a month ago and it hasn’t started at all. To clean the tank for my second attempt I rinsed everything and bleached all decir to get rid of the fungus.
I am doing everything right, here are some answers to questions you might have.
- I use a water conditioner
- I have the water running with a sponge filter and I have a heater set at 79 degrees F
- I use straight up ammonia in grains at 2ppm
- PH is at 8
- I use bacteria in a bottle after a few weeks of it not doing anything ( it barely did anything and didn’t jumpstart the cycle)
- it’s a fish less cycle

ive searched up top reasons it may not start but everything is correct, I’mnot doing anything wrong??

decor: (no live plants) a petsmart driftwood looking decor (not actually driftwood) and some fake plastic plants. Black gravel as the substrate.

background: I’ve done a successful cycle in my old 3.5 gallon tank that had my betta fish that passed away from old age a week ago. It was cycled and doing good so I don’t understand why my other tank isn’t.

PLZ HELP

Dunk2

Overview: my tank hasn’t started the cycle at all, it’s been a month. I don’t know what’s wrong!!

i have attempted to cycle it twice. I tried th first time and it was never starting, and it eventually grew some type of fungus.

my second attempt i started a month ago and it hasn’t started at all. To clean the tank for my second attempt I rinsed everything and bleached all decir to get rid of the fungus.
- I have the water running with a sponge filter and I have a heater set at 79 degrees F
- PH is at 8
- I use bacteria in a bottle after a few weeks of it not doing anything ( it barely did anything and didn’t jumpstart the cycle)
- it’s a fish less cycle

ive searched up top reasons it may not start but everything is correct, I’mnot doing anything wrong??

decor: (no live plants) a petsmart driftwood looking decor (not actually driftwood) and some fake plastic plants. Black gravel as the substrate.

background: I’ve done a successful cycle in my old 3.5 gallon tank that had my betta fish that passed away from old age a week ago. It was cycled and doing good so I don’t understand why my other tank isn’t.

PLZ HELP

What brand of ammonia are you using?

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Fritz pro ammonium chloride

That should be fine.

When you bleached things, are you sure you rinsed everything very well and then rinsed it again? In other words, could there be bleach “residue“ in your tank?

Upvote 0

NicksFishTanks

Fritz pro ammonium chloride
Maybe try restarting the tank. Cleaning everything out completely without using bleach making sure any previously used bleach is completely cleaned out. Then do what you did before but try cycling by adding a little bit of fish food in for the first week or 2 and then just let it sit, let it cycle and just give it time. I always cycled tanks using a little bit of fish food. Another thing to check is if your water conditioner removes chlorine. Also check if your water has any chlorine in it, often basic water systems don’t remove chlorine.

Upvote 0

jtjgg

try increasing ammonia to 4ppm, until you see nitrites. then lower to 2ppm.

Upvote 0

Sherbet

i made sure to rinse it really well. It’s strange that I’ve attempted it twice and it hasn’t worked
try increasing ammonia to 4ppm, until you see nitrites. then lower to 2ppm.
I will do that and see if it makes a difference

Upvote 0

mattgirl

- PH is at 8
- it’s a fish less cycle

PLZ HELP
If the Betta tank was/is cycled use some bacteria from that tank to jump start the cycle in this tank. Bacteria that has been grown in your water is going to work 100% better than anything in a bottle. Just move everything you can from that tank over to this one. No need to move the water in this case since you aren't moving fish.

If you plan on putting another Betta in the small tank be sure to keep it filled up to protect the bacteria left in there after removing everything else from the tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

55 Gallon Tank Tank cycling - Need hep
Replies
Views
mattgirl
5 Gallon Tank Cycle stuck
Replies
Views
emilymg
Replies
Views