Tank Isn't Cycling

1. Kaelico

Kaelico Member Member

I'm currently cycling a 40B for fancy goldfish and it seems as though the cycle isn't moving forward. I set the tank up two weeks ago, and when I added the water and Prime, I only waited a few hours before adding 2ppm of ammonia (I only meant to add 1ppm but accidentally overdosed a little) and then TSS+ forgetting that Prime can kill bacteria. I decided to wait a week to see if some bacteria survived and it would cycle anyways, but there was no change to the ammonia so I went out and bought another bottle of TSS+ (it was a size smaller if that matters) and added that. It's been another week and a half roughly and ammonia is still at 2ppm. Anyone know why this is? There should be bacteria seeded in the filters so I don't know why it's taking so long to eat the ammonia. Nitrite is 0. Should I just keep waiting?

2. S

SFFishSticks Member Member

What kind of filter are you running? What sort of media is in it?

What temperature is your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Kaelico Member Member

2x Aquaclear 70, 2x sponge filter
    Each AC has a sponge, some polyfil, and two bags of ceramic media
    Temp is 78 (no heater)

4. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Hey there. Sorry you are having trouble cycling.

Can I get your pH? Sometimes your pH can affect your cycle.

I know you are cycling for goldfish, but the temp to encourage bacteria growth is above 80. Usually 84, for some reason is the magic temp. Lol

For a 40 gallon tank you need to add 2 full bottles of Tetra Safe Start. (The smaller ones) one bottle is for 20 gallons. So this may be your issue. You aren't adding enough.

If I was you, I would get 2 bottles of the Tetra Safe Start Plus. Enough for 40 gallons (so read the back). Turn your tank temp up to 84. As long as you haven't added Prime within 24 hours, I would add both bottles. One of the bottles I would pour directly into your filter. The second I would add to the tank water itself.

Then I would start testing every other day. If you start seeing results then, I would go off your Ammonia results as to what to do next.

If you see no movement in anything after 5-6 more days. I would switch to a different bacteria. I personally like Seachem Stability because it works well with Prime, but API QuickStart works well too.

What kind of ceramic media are you using? Some of the ceramics can alter your water chemistries so you do have to be aware of that also.

5. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Kaelico Member Member

Thanks so much for your reply.
    My pH is stable at 7.5.
    I added a 150 watt Hydor heater, set it to 84, and the tank is heating up now.
    Do you mean two 20 gallon TSS+ bottles or two 40 gallon TSS+ bottles? The first one I added that may have been killed by Prime was 100 gallons, the second was 20.
    The ceramic media I'm using is the kind that came with the aquaclear filters. I don't know the specific kind, but they're not rings.
    IMG_4179.JPG

6. AllieSten

I meant 2-20 gallon bottles. The first bottle you added doesn't count since the Prime starved your bacteria to death. It's the one bad thing about Prime, that it makes you do an extra day of waiting when using TSS. Honestly unless it is cheaper to do the 100 gallon bottle, you don't need it. It won't really increase your bacteria growth at all.

Your pH is good, so that won't affect your cycle.

I would consider those ceramic rings, although they don't have a hole in the middle. So they shouldn't alter your chemistries at all. I was curious if it was Seachem Matrix or something similar to that. Matrix will reduce your nitrates. Which is difficult when you are trying to cycle.

Hopefully just tweaking a couple things will get you going.

7. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Not necessarily true. There are three or more different size bottles of TSS+. The one I usually use is for 40 gallons and I have also gotten one that is for double or more than that size.

8. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Kaelico Member Member

These are the two I've used. The larger says it's for up to 500 gallons on the front but specifies that it can really only handle 100 gallons on the back. The smaller says 100 on the front, 20 on the back. I'm assuming you mean for me to use two more of the smaller, right AllieSten?

Edit: Sorry meant to add a picture. These are the two I was talking about.
    FullSizeRender (4).jpg

9. AllieSten

Yes. 2 of the smaller ones.

10. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Kaelico Member Member

I followed all the instructions above and ammonia is now down to .5, but it's taking a really long time to decrease from there. I'm also worried that I may have killed the BB. A lot of water had evaporated, so I decided to top it off but I added Prime to the water first. It is possible that it could have killed the bacteria if it was already established in the filter?

It's been a while, and I'm not sure if you still get notifications for this thread, so I tagged you @AllieSten

11. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrites, but they are still there to be used for food for your bacteria. No prime will not harm your bacteria, you should still be good.

12. OP
    OP
    Kaelico

Kaelico Member Member

Ok good. So should I just continue waiting for ammonia to drop, or is there anything else I can do to speed up the process?