Question Tank Is Full Of Tiny White Worms! Help!

Victoria99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm trying to cycle my tank...first tank ever. I thought these little hairs were fibers from the cholla wood or catappa leaves and would clear out soon. Then I looked at the ones on the glass and they're moving!!! What do I do? Please help!

20190528_115720.jpg
20190528_115748.jpg
20190528_115806.jpg

They're everywhere in the water. You can see in the first picture all if the little flurries floating around. There's also this weird brown stuff appearing on the bottom of the tank and I don't know what it is. I vacuumed it yesterday and this much appeared overnight again. HELP!

1559066669763.jpg

I have a video of them wiggling and moving on the glass but I don't know how to post it. Any help?

UPDATE: today's water tests reveal...my tank is fully cycled! Just in time to add fish and have them choke on worms. Great.

Last edited:

Victoria99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Last edited by a moderator:

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You just think you have a worm problem lol
20190517_131636.jpg

Too big to be detritus worms but too small to be earthworms(I have those too). About 1"(2.54cm) long.

Victoria99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You just think you have a worm problem lolView attachment 560840
Too big to be detritus worms but too small to be earthworms(I have those too). About 1"(2.54cm) long.
If they're too big to be detritus worms, then what could they be? I read online that detritus worms can be 3-5mm, but some scientists have recorded them up to half an inch. But there's a lot of incorrect stuff that gets cycled around the internet, so ‍♀

UPDATE: I pulled all the decor out and rinsed it. I vacuumed the gravel side of my tank and the sand side twice each, and then spot cleaned. That sucked about 90% of my water. I don't see very many anymore, but detritus worms are nocturnal and go away the longer the light is on, so idk if I got rid of most of them or if they're hiding now. Or both.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Having some is normal. Benifial actualy since they farther break down extra food and things like that.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn’t worry about them. An ongoing supplement to the fishes’ diet. Good stuff. I would actually have left them alone...

Victoria99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yes , fish will eat them , nothing to worry, but can vacuum them to control their population... oh some time if you tank has extra waste as their food they can come from woods
My fish ate them, but then they all got constipated, lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom