Tank Is Failing Need Help

Mr Clown Loach

I’ve had my clown loch tank for a couple of years now. Ph 6.8 ammonia 0 and it’s about 80 degrees in the tank. I had a large amount if algae growth on everything in the tank. I got rid of the decorations, logs and scraped off all the algae from the walls. Added new gravel while still leaving the old gravel underneath and the tank couldn’t look better. The next day no ones eating, then two die. Today everyone has a white film over their eyes and I lost 4 more. If anyone has a answer it would be greatly appreciated because I fear I will loose everyone. They all hang at the bottom and barely move.

kallililly1973

Did the tank turn cloudy after making those changes? If so then it went into a minI cycle from taking some of the BB out when you removed the decorations and did the big cleaning. Have you checked your water parameters recently Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Ph?

Mr Clown Loach

Did the tank turn cloudy after making those changes? If so then it went into a minI cycle from taking some of the BB out when you removed the decorations and did the big cleaning. Have you checked your water parameters recently Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Ph?

It’s wasn’t cloudy after but the ammonia is currently 0 I didn’t check the other two. I removed a lot a lot a lot of algae is it possible I removed their air supply?

kallililly1973

It’s wasn’t cloudy after but the ammonia is currently 0 I didn’t check the other two. I removed a lot a lot a lot of algae is it possible I removed their air supply?
Not 100% sure about that but with the other reading it should give a better idea as to what happened.

Guppyapocalypse

Did you make sure to thoroughly rinse the new gravel? I did this once and the shock from all the changes killled my fish.
Not sure why you felt the algae warranted such an extreme reaction. I have guppies and nerite snails, so having some is beneficial. It also consumes some of the nitrates

sr2z

Test the pH, sudden changes could kill your fish. What kind of gravel did you use?

A201

Maybe the problem wasn't the cleaning off of the algae, but was instead the reason excess algae was present in the first place. Elevated nitrates.
White film covering a fish oftentimes indicates a bacterial infection, or it could be a symptom of slimecoat errosion due to a parameter spike.
If the OP mixed the new gravel with the established layer of substrate, digging into the old can unleash all kinds of bad bugs into the environment.
Loaches are incredibly sensitive to meds. About all that can be done is to remove any obviously infected fish asap, keep the tank very clean & keep close watch on the surviving tankmates.

coralbandit

More info would be helpful .
How often do you change water , what size is tank ??
I am with A201 and believe the algae was just masking a greater issue ..
I might just [would be done by now] change water ..Like 50% and watch..
I think I would also be vacuuming the 2 gravels to get them mixed up ..The deeper our BB are the greater chance they change from aerobic to anaerobic which could cause issue ..
You did 2 big changes at once ...I would be changing water daily so the changes are atleast higher quality and under your control .??

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
  • CaptainAquatics
  • Heater