75 Gallon Tank Tank is Cloudy after filter change

horsepoet24

Back in September our power was out for two days and one of our fishes died. I typically change the filters on the 17th of the month when I change filters for the dogs and my drinking water. I typically do a 20% water change when I vacuum the gravel. We've had this tank for a year, no problems with the water being cloudy except for when it's time to change the filters.

I changed the filters in September and started getting a white cloudiness. I usually get a little haze so I didn't think much of it. It started getting more and more cloudy. So this month on filter change day I did a 50% water change and a deep vacuum of the gravel. It cleared up a bit, but it has gotten worse as the month has gone by.

The only difference from when the cloudiness started was I used up the filters my in-laws gave us and bought the exact same ones through Amazon.

I attached a photo from the first filter change in September and my tank today.

Attachments

• Resized_20200916_135818.jpeg
    Resized_20200916_135818.jpeg
    507.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201027_153604.jpg
    20201027_153604.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 54

StarGirl

You mean change the cartridge? Yeah thats why. As above said.

Upvote 0

horsepoet24

You might have started a mini cycle. Filter media holds a lot of bb.
So it'll clear up eventually? It's been a month and a half since the first change and it never been this bad when I changed them previously.

You mean change the cartridge? Yeah thats why. As above said.
Yes I changed the cartridge. I'm confused why its happening now and not from any of my previous cartridge changes and why it's getting worse.

Upvote 0

Eplfan2011

So it'll clear up eventually? It's been a month and a half since the first change and it never been this bad when I changed them previously.

Yes I changed the cartridge. I'm confused why its happening now and not from any of my previous cartridge changes and why it's getting worse.
I'm no expert but it looks like your tanks cycling. The filter cartridge holds a lot of good bacteria and when you change it there's not enough good bacteria left so a mini cycle starts.
I put bags of bio media in the back of HOB filters to combat this and I also run a sponge filter in the tank. Hope this helps you out .

Upvote 0

ValkyrieLips

Your tank is also severely overstocked, so I'm not surprised the water is that cloudy. I suggest researching the nitrogen cycle so you can properly cycle your tank and rehoming the majority of your fish.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Yes as I said in your other thread you’ve got a handful. The goldfish alone are waste machines. Add the 2 plecos and your in trouble.
If your saying you change the water once a month your going to have to change to probably once a week to keep that water clean 50%. A bigger tank will help too. Like a 150g.

Upvote 0

Tallen78

Here’s what u do get rid of the cartridges and use pond pads that way when u clean ur filter just clean them in some tank water and put them back I use a few hob filters on my tanks and I throw away what comes with them and put my own pads and media

Upvote 0

GlennO

Do you test your water? Can you give us ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

Upvote 0

horsepoet24

I have a testing kit on its way tomorrow.

Upvote 0

horsepoet24

I'm no expert but it looks like your tanks cycling. The filter cartridge holds a lot of good bacteria and when you change it there's not enough good bacteria left so a mini cycle starts.
I put bags of bio media in the back of HOB filters to combat this and I also run a sponge filter in the tank. Hope this helps you out .
One of the filters is a Fluval 70 gallon that has a sponge, charcoal filter and a pouch of rocks(I'm not sure what they are called) The other is a TopFin silent stream pf75.

Attachments

• 16038421210745268133983312529358.jpg
    16038421210745268133983312529358.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 16038421360165864166245332507589.jpg
    16038421360165864166245332507589.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 16038421765865799358339652732503.jpg
    16038421765865799358339652732503.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0

GlennO

I have a testing kit on its way tomorrow.

Please post the results. They will confirm whether you're experiencing a mini cycle and whether your fish are in any immediate danger. Are they acting normal?

Upvote 0

horsepoet24

Here’s what u do get rid of the cartridges and use pond pads that way when u clean ur filter just clean them in some tank water and put them back I use a few hob filters on my tanks and I throw away what comes with them and put my own pads and media
Where can you get pond pads?

Upvote 0

horsepoet24

Yes as I said in your other thread you’ve got a handful. The goldfish alone are waste machines. Add the 2 plecos and your in trouble.
If your saying you change the water once a month your going to have to change to probably once a week to keep that water clean 50%. A bigger tank will help too. Like a 150g.
I was doing about 20% a week and 50% once a month. So I should do a 50% water change every week?

Upvote 0

AlyeskaGirl

In the photos to me it looks like you have green water aka algae bloom. Look straight down into the tank does it look milky white or have a green appearance?

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Yeah 50% weekly maybe even twice a week. What you have is an algae bloom from too much waste. The 5 goldfish alone will produce a ton of waste. Now add those 2 common plecos and your way over stocked. What are the tank measurements? Also if a 75 you should be filtering at least 800 gallons per hour. With that stock I’d say 1k an hour. Something else to clean it up quick will be a marineland magnum water polisher.

Upvote 0

horsepoet24

Please post the results. They will confirm whether you're experiencing a mini cycle and whether your fish are in any immediate danger. Are they acting normal?
Ok the test said
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 80ppm
The fish are acting normally.

Upvote 0

horsepoet24

In the photos to me it looks like you have green water aka algae bloom. Look straight down into the tank does it look milky white or have a green appearance?
Yeah it's milky white

Upvote 0

GlennO

The 0.25 readings are too low to assume that there is currently a major issue with the cycle. It might indicate that your bio-filtration is struggling to keep up. The tank is overloaded with organics causing the cloudy water and the high nitrate reading confirms advice previously provided i.e. that the tank is overstocked and water changes have been inadequate. For the time being I would undertake a large 50%-75% water change and continue this at least weekly. You may also benefit from adding another filter. You’ll need a longer term solution though which means rehoming some fish or getting a larger tank.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Back in September our power was out for two days and one of our fishes died. I typically change the filters on the 17th of the month when I change filters for the dogs and my drinking water. I typically do a 20% water change when I vacuum the gravel. We've had this tank for a year, no problems with the water being cloudy except for when it's time to change the filters.

I changed the filters in September and started getting a white cloudiness. I usually get a little haze so I didn't think much of it. It started getting more and more cloudy. So this month on filter change day I did a 50% water change and a deep vacuum of the gravel. It cleared up a bit, but it has gotten worse as the month has gone by.

The only difference from when the cloudiness started was I used up the filters my in-laws gave us and bought the exact same ones through Amazon.

I attached a photo from the first filter change in September and my tank today.

Changed filters?? What does that mean? A properly set up tank shouldn't need to change filters....

It seems like you were using carbon media and replacing it once the carbon was used up.... I would not rely on carbon as it is a very expensive way of keeping fish....and goldfish poop a lot lol

Upvote 0

JTsFishQueen

If its milky white it's probably a bacteria issue. My LFS store said to add bacteria quite often to try to clear it up. My tank was also overstocked, with dirty ole goldfish. Lol . You got a lot of great suggestions on here though about how to help that. My white "blooms" always came after water changes with cartridge changes. I used quick start and the like cycling bacteria you can buy. I think he said something like every other day for a week and you should see improvement.

Upvote 0

FisHobbyist

Whatever you do, don’t try to clean those blue inserts on these TopFin HOB filters. This is where a majority of the biological bacteria reside.

Upvote 0

horsepoet24

Whatever you do, don’t try to clean those blue inserts on these TopFin HOB filters. This is where a majority of the biological bacteria reside.
Ok. I will make sure to avoid that.

Upvote 0

horsepoet24

If its milky white it's probably a bacteria issue. My LFS store said to add bacteria quite often to try to clear it up. My tank was also overstocked, with dirty ole goldfish. Lol . You got a lot of great suggestions on here though about how to help that. My white "blooms" always came after water changes with cartridge changes. I used quick start and the like cycling bacteria you can buy. I think he said something like every other day for a week and you should see improvement.
I'm going to have to do a total water change in the next week, but I will make sure to have some on hand once I can get them in the clean tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
LawSkool
  • Question
Replies
Views
90indmaj
Replies
Views