1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Tank Is Cloudy After 1 Day

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Bettarafiki, Jun 26, 2019.

1. BettarafikiNew MemberMember

I’ve had my veil tail Betta since May. My friend got him for me and neither of us knew anything about Bettas. She bought me a small bowl and I immediately knew this was not big enough for him. I bought a 2.5 gallon tank because that is all I could afford at the time. He is usually very active and calm. I just bought a 5.5 gallon tank for him and have added a filter. When I first put him in he was laying on the bottom of the tank on his side and I thought he had died multiple times. I thought he had swim bladder disease so I didn’t feed him for two days. He is doing a lot better now and is slowly becoming more himself. Unfortunately, I did not know about the nitrogen cycle before I added him to the new tank. But I have been doing a lot of research. I added the pebbles from his previous tank after a day or two because I read that it can add beneficial bacteria. I know that bacterial bloom can make a tank become cloudy, but my new tank became cloudy a day after I added the old pebbles. Is this from bacterial bloom or is the water dirty? Can bacteria grow in a day?

Btw I tested the ammonia and it was 0ppm but the pH was around 6. I added an API product in order to increase the pH. I have a big silk plant, two Betta hammocks, a cave, and a small real plant in the tank. There are two heaters and the temperature is 80 degrees. The white stuff at the top of the tank is just from the picture, it is not there normally.

I apologize for the length of this but thank you for your help! I love my Betta dearly and want him to be healthy and happy.

18319FCB-45BD-4091-9D4A-626700013827.jpeg

2. Sheldon13Valued MemberMember

Do you have any filter media left from your old filter? If it is still wet it is going to have the majority of the bacteria. Try to fit some of it in your new filter.

3. BettarafikiNew MemberMember

I actually didn’t have a filter in the old tank because it was so small..

4. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Its a bacterial bloom from a cycle starting. Labyrinth fish are generally very good at surviving fish-in cycles. Personally I'd just dose seachem prime every 24-48 hours to lock up the ammonia until the tank completes the cycle. Not a big fan of any special bacterial additives.

5. BettarafikiNew MemberMember

Thank you!!

6. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Being it’s a betta you should be fine. Just do some daily water changes to keep the ammonia from getting to high. 1-2gal a day at first and if all looks good every other day. Just keep checking the ammonia. Good luck :)! Oh and welcome to fishlore!! Lots of people here with Bettas! Lots of good advice!