Tank in dire need, please help! Help 

Providence

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a 55 gallon tank with about six neon tetras, four red phantom tetras, four sunburst mollys, four rummy nose tetras, three catfish, three shrimp, four zebra danios, and four guppies. There are a lot of rocks and fake plants, no live plants.

We had a pretty good little system for about two years now, until about three weeks ago when one of our Zebra Danios looked like his caudal fin had been eaten. I read about fish disease and figured out that it was fin rot with secondary fungal infection. Because the infection was all the way into his body, we euthanized him. At that time, I tested the water with our API freshwater master test kit. The pH was high (8.0), but Ammonia was zero, Nitrates were 20 ppm, Nitrites were zero.

About a week later we started losing guppies and had our water analyzed at PetSmart, again all was normal except high pH and hard water (which my kit does not test for, but I know that we have).

All of the guppies and one of the starburst mollys have died. We are still having trouble with fin rot developing on a few others (without fungus), and one of my larger sunburst Molly has what seems to be body fungus on one of its sides, and the only zebra danio with long fins has spots on them. The rest of them (the neon tetras, the red phantoms, catfish, and shrimp) look and act totally normal.

One week ago I treated the tank with Maracyn and raised the temperature of the tank to 82 F. When treatment was complete I decreased the temp of the water back to 78 F.

Today the Zebra Danios seem to be attacking each other. The larger sunburst molly has improved, but still has slightly white discoloration on his side with fin rot. I just tested the water, and ph is 7.4 on the high pH test, 7.6 on the regular pH test, Ammonia is zero, Nitrates are 20 ppm, Nitrites are now 0.25. I just did a 50% water change and added more biological filter to hopefully get the nitrites back to zero. So, since treatment with Maracyn, the pH has dropped significantly and Nitrites are now present.

It is obviously there is a lot of stress in the tank, and possibly disease. If you have any input on this situation, I appreciate it very much!!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What do you have for filtration? What is your water change schedule? What kind of catfish?

Providence

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Idk if this the cause but an aquaclear 70 isn't enough filtration for a 55 gallon. I would purchase a Aquaclear 50 and put that in the tank as well. Or you could purchase another Aquaclear 70. You want a total of 550 GPH in the tank. More is better.

When you clean the filter do you clean it in tap water? Or old tank water?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishingman001 said:
Idk if this the cause but an aquaclear 70 isn't enough filtration for a 55 gallon. I would purchase a Aquaclear 50 and put that in the tank as well. Or you could purchase another Aquaclear 70. You want a total of 550 GPH in the tank. More is better.

When you clean the filter do you clean it in tap water? Or old tank water?
I agree, I'm not going to say that that's the cause, but increasing filtration would be the first thing I'd do to try and get a handle on what's going on.

I wash my mechanical media in straight tap water. As long as the tank is established a quick 10 second rinse isn't going to wipe out the whole colony.

Providence

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I rinse the mechanical filter in tap water. I don't rinse the biological filter (although I'm not sure if the Maracyn affected it and that's why we have a sudden presence of Nitrites). I use the Aquaclear 70 because it's rated for "300 gph for aquariums up to 70 gallons" according to the manufacturer. The tank has been stable with our routine for such a long time, I'm not sure how our filter would have altered the environment so quickly and in such an abrupt way, but I'm open to any of your ideas if it means my fish will stop dying.

Do you think there is any merit to another round of medication? Either tetracycline or an anti-fungal?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Providence said:
The filter is cleaned in tap water.
When you say the filter, what do you mean? The plastic housing? The sponge? the biomax?

Providence

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry, I edited my previous response to be more thorough.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry you lost a few fish. Things can go well for awhile and then all of a sudden there's a problem.

Have you added any new fish recently?

I suggest when you need to medicate, you do it in a separate tank. Most meds harm the beneficial bacteria & no nead to medicate all fish if not showing signs of illness. That is probly why you are seeing nitrItes.

I agree on the filtration...getting more would be a good idea. Currently I am running an AC70 & AC50 on my 55 gallon. Which is stocked with Tetras and Corys.

I recently had mysterious deaths and then my Tetras started to slightly get fungus patches & my DG was layin on the bottom w/ tiny white dot in each eye. All I did was daily 15% water changes with gravel vac every time, used Stress Coat and it cleared up within a week. Sometimes all it takes is clean water if it's not a bad case.

Fin-nipping can cause fin rot to attack. You have quit the stock going on there.

You should never rinse any of your filter media or filter in tap water as the chloranie is harmful to the bacteria. Bacteria grows on any surface available but the filter media is the main spot due to lots of water movement for oxygen.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I haven't known maracyn to kill the cycle.

My tanks with HOBs have at least a 10x turnover rate. So, for a 55 I would want around 600 gph of filtration. I would absolutely add a second AC70.

Providence

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for all the info. I will add another filter, and do small daily water changes for a while.

I looked up Stress Coat and it sounds like a good idea, do you have any suggestions about it's use, or just follow the bottle directions? I forgot to mention that I do add tap water dechlorinator with water changes, should I switch to Stress Coat instead?

Things seem to have calmed down since the water change a few hours ago, at least the zebras are not attacking each other.

Thanks again, I appreciate all of your input.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Providence said:
Thank you for all the info. I will add another filter, and do small daily water changes for a while.

I looked up Stress Coat and it sounds like a good idea, do you have any suggestions about it's use, or just follow the bottle directions? I forgot to mention that I do add tap water dechlorinator with water changes, should I switch to Stress Coat instead?

Things seem to have calmed down since the water change a few hours ago, at least the zebras are not attacking each other.

Thanks again, I appreciate all of your input.
Stress Coat is my main water conditioner too. I've used if for awhile and works great. When I did the 15% water changes daily I used 2 5 gallon buckets and put about 5 pumps in each. You eather treat the new water or put enough in for the whole tank. It will help them. Reduce feeding, keep the water clean.

Seachem Prime would be another good one since you have some nitrItes present. Below is a good article on water conditioners.

How often do you rinse your filter and media? Usually when you notice your filter getting gunked up fast means you don't have enough filtration. IMO

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads