Tank Ht And Ground Cover

1. Craigers76

Craigers76 New Member Member

I have a 120 gal planted aquarium . Im running co2 add flourish have used root tabs . Also I have about 3.6 wpg of 6700 light running into the tank . My problem is I have trouble with groundcover plants like dwarf hair grass or baby tears. I wonder if it's due to the hight of the tank wich is 25 inch tall . Anyone else have advice for tall tanks ?

2. OP
    OP
    Craigers76

2017-07-31 18.32.59.jpg
    2017-07-31 18.32.59.jpg

Advertisement

3. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

4. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Tall tanks are a pain with lighting, you would need really strong lighting to penetrate to the bottom, yet would need to balance it so the plants in the mid/top won't have issues with algae.
    More then wpg, it's the PAR at specific depths that makes the difference... what brand lighting do you have? On my 24 inch deep I use a chihiros series a, normally a low priced great plant light, but it gets expensive for larger tanks. (I never attempted a carpet on this tank though)

Flourish is low on NP, two of the macros. If you want to stay with an all in one, I would suggest using nilocg thrive or ultum nature systems plant food. Both are better options for fussier plants.

Other plant options for carpeting would be marsilea, hydrocotyle triparta, Monte Carlo, staurogeyne repens. All would do better then dhg and baby tears on a tall tank.

That must be some co2 system on a 125!

Nice looking tank!

5. OP
    OP
    Craigers76

This is the system I bought I have a 10 gallon co2 tank lasts about 3months Screenshot_2017-08-01-21-34-23.png

6. OP
    OP
    Craigers76

I'll look into those other frets thanks any suggestions for a new co2 drop checker the last 2 I've bought were pretty sub par. I've been doing aquariums my whole life but only planted tanks about 2 years but I love it .

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I use the checker and solution from nilocg... ordered it on Amazon, not sure if it's on nilos site

Advertisement