Tank Hood question...

1. Marinero Member Member

If I buy a tank hood, how well of a fit will a filter and heater go with it that I buy separate? I know the hoods have a little cut out area for that stuff, but that probably leaves a lot of open space for evaparation and whatever else wouldn't it? Or is it that big of a deal? :-\

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

If you'll be buying the hood, heater, and filter - all in one store, then why don't you try and see right there if they all will fit together? No better way than to try it first before you buy. Besides, I think that even if you were buying all these separately, the hoods usually have holes for filters and heaters that are standard in size - meaning that they will fit most heaters and filters. Unless you will be buying some rare or custom made hood, I don't think there should be problems as to whether the filter and heater will fit. My hood, for example, had no holes at all, but it had pre-cut areas (smaller and larger) that I could simply cut out to fit my filter and heater.

3. Marinero Member Member

My hood, for example, had no holes at all, but it had pre-cut areas (smaller and larger) that I could simply cut out to fit my filter and heater.

Yeah that's what I mean. The two pre-cut sizes will leave you with a little exposed space right? Few square inches? I'm kinda fussy about it. What I like about my stater kit with my 5 g is that it's all snug and tight not one inch of water surface exposed ;D.

But you don't find that little bit of exposed space a problem at all do you?

4. Janmitch22 Member Member

The hood for my ten-gallon came with softer plastic for the cut-out area and they made it so that I was able to cut the plastic to fit whatever gap I was making. I don't remember who made that hood. I got it at Wal-Mart, though.

5. dahly Member Member

Both of my hoods are plastic, with guide lines that CAN be used to make cut outs for your filter and heater.  I found them to be too big for the equipment I had, so I just measured how big a cutout I needed, marked it on the hood,  and sawed the hood down to the depth needed.  Then using a straight edge (ruler) and a box cutter, I scored a straight line, multiple times, between the two cuts, and using pliers, snapped the piece off.  No excess hole area to worry about.  Everything fits snuggly, and it wasn't much work at all.  Good Luck!   ;)

6. Marinero Member Member

I like that idea Dahly! ;D

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Marinero, I actually do have a hole for a filter larger than the filter would need it to be, but I don't see it as a problem. At least not for the fish that I have. My fish don't jump out (neons and angels) as some other kinds of fish do. The exposed space in my hood doesn't cause any problems for me. I even like the idea of fresh air being in contact with water's surface all the time, as opposed to a very tightly closed hood that wouldn't allow any fresh air inside.

8. Marinero Member Member

I like that idea too Isabella :-\

9. dahly Member Member

I cut and snap at right angles, so there is still small spaces for air exchange in addition to the fact that the lid doesn't form a vacuum seal anyway. Either way, if you don't have "jumpers" it shouldn't matter one way or the other. Enjoy! ;)