Tank Help - Algae

shelbert67

Reaction score
Hello! I'm relatively to new as far as being a fish owner goes, but I have a question and some concerns for my tank.
I have a 20gal Aqueon hex tank that currently houses 6 assorted platys, 1 blue mystery snail and 4 ghost shrimp. I did my last tank clean/water change less than 3 weeks ago (April 8th) but there's so much algae on the sides of my tanks, as well as the decorations. I've had this tank set up for about 5 months now, and I've never seen this much algae in my tank. Am I doing something wrong?

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here are some of the things that contribute to a lot of algae in your tank. How long do you leave the lights on? Try and keep it to 8 hrs or less. How much do you feed your fish and how often? A small pinch, twice a day for 6 platies should be enough. You should do 30% water changes once a week instead of every 3 weeks. You can start dosing Flourish Excel as per instructions on the bottle. This should give you something to work with for a start. Cheers.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are the plants? There are some plants that do not like Excel. (I use it everyday. Great product)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom