Tank Heater Size For Basement Aquarium

• Thread starter Paulsz
  • Start date

Paulsz

Hi,

Ive set up a 30 gal cube tank in my basement with a sump (10 gals of water in sump). So a total of about 40 gal. I am currently running two eheim Jager heaters (100W and 150W) but they don't seem to be bringing the temperature any higher than 76F. I have calibrated them in buckets for 79F. My basement temperature is cold, roughly about 64-66 F. The 100W is barely ever off and so is consuming a bunch of energy.

Do you think there is something wrong with the heaters, or the maybe I should get a higher wattage? I figured 250W would have been enough but I'm not sure anymore.

Thanks

dcutl002

Well Known
My 2 cents: I would get bigger heaters...probably two 200W or one 300W. I have my tank in the garage where it is relatively cold compared to the house and I had to place bigger heaters in the tank. Seems to work.

Paulsz

Alright I will get a stronger one and hope it works

cadd

Well Known
I have two 200W heaters in my 55 gal tank. That's because when I'm away at work, my house drops to 55 degrees on cold winter days. With the two heaters, it is able to maintain 76 degrees for me.

Paulsz

Okay so I will keep a 150W on it and get another heater, probably 250W. Hopefully that works

Thanks for the help

cadd

Well Known
If you do that, make sure the 250 runs first. If not enough heat then then let the 150 run to supplement.

If you set the 150 to run first, it'll be constantly running non stop during the winter.

Paulsz

Sounds good

bzambo66

cadd said:
If you do that, make sure the 250 runs first. If not enough heat then then let the 150 run to supplement.

If you set the 150 to run first, it'll be constantly running non stop during the winter.
How can you dictate which heater runs first in an aquarium if you are running two of them at the same time?

wodesorel

Well Known
I have similar temps in my bedroom, and needed 10W per gallon to break into the 80s. Anything less was struggling.

Top Bottom