Tank heater: 1 or 2?

ScottR

My 150w Aqueon Pro heater just stopped working--the green LED is on no matter what the tank temperature is, and moving the dial all the way in either direction doesn't change it. I'd ordered a Fluval E100; it failed within a week. It had been set to 77, but it only heated to 74.5--the display was blue, indicating it knew the temperature was too low, but it didn't get it any higher. I have a spare 75 watt heater I'm using in the meantime.

I was going to go out and get an Eheim Jager, but I'm debating the wattage and number. My 23g should fall within the 125 watt model's range, but I was reading some sources that said it was better to get 2 smaller heaters that meet or exceed that number, in part as a backup in case one fails. Or should I get a single 150w for extra power because of cooler rooms in the winter? The thermostat is normally set to 68, but I have smart thermostats that drop lower when no one's home.

FinalFins

I use 2 100 watt in my 20g

Amazoniantanklvr

Got 2 75w or 2 100w or one 150w Eheim Jager. I love mine.

StarGirl

I use 1 200w in my 55 works fine I guess?

ScottR

Thanks for the replies.
I bought a 100w Jaeger; I figured I'd use it in conjunction with that spare 75w I'd put in.
Does positioning really matter with a 20g-long tank? I've seen people who say they put their heaters at either end, but it's not like my tank is *that* long, and I thought it's better to have the heater where there's the most flow (i.e, under the filter outflow).

ForceTen

Aqueon now uses a red indicator light. I have the 300 watt in my 40 gallon. I have a spare as well.

ScottR

My Aqueon uses a red to indicate that it's heating and a green to indicate that it has power but is not heating at the moment. Mine was stuck on green all the time, so maybe it was a thermostat issue.

nikm128

It really depends on the specific scenario. What is the room temperature and what are you trying to raise the tank temperature to? If you need to raise a 20 gallon tank by 20 degrees than the typical 100-150w heater won't cut it

ForceTen

My Aqueon uses a red to indicate that it's heating and a green to indicate that it has power but is not heating at the moment. Mine was stuck on green all the time, so maybe it was a thermostat issue.

My Aqueon 300 is red when heating and off for not heating. So no light when its off.
I must have a newer model as I have heard this before.

ScottR

It really depends on the specific scenario. What is the room temperature and what are you trying to raise the tank temperature to? If you need to raise a 20 gallon tank by 20 degrees than the typical 100-150w heater won't cut it

Room temp is typically 68-69. The Fluval E100 couldn't budge it past 74.5, with a 77F target, but the 75w I'd put in temporarily got there without much trouble. The Aqueon Pro 150 had no trouble for years; oddly enough, it stopped working after I'd taken it out during a water change to wipe down and remove some algae strands. It's possible it had already stopped working at that point but I just hadn't noticed, but I don't think so. I don't know why wiping it down would have damaged it.

nikm128

Well I’m an aqueon person myself so I’d say if that’s the heater that worked best for you just get another one of them

mattgirl

I run a single 200 watt heater in my 55 gallon tank. I have it situated in the middle of the tank between the 2 HOB filters I run on this tank. It keeps the tank at a steady 76 degrees even when the temps drop into the low 60's each night. This is a Marineland fully submersible heater but I will never be comfortable having an electrical cord under water so the top of mine is always above the water line.

I can't in good conscious recommend this heater though. My first one only lasted 2 winters and then quit on me. I have to say the lifetime guarantee is spot on though. I emailed a photo of it with the cord cut and they sent me another one right away.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
WrenFeenix
Replies
Views
FireflySky
Replies
Views
sliderdkp
  • PascalKrypt