Tank has alge will plants help

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have recently started my first tank, Back in Dec. yes it has cycled, I'm getting a lotta green gunk I'm guessing algae near the bottom and working it's way up the side by Saturday when I do my water changes. What could be causing this and would adding live plant's help? I only have the plastic plant,s now and no bottom fish yet. Also if plants help what type's are good starter one's? Tank is probably in the wrong location also between 2 windows that get good sunlight. I'm not wanting to move it yet. :-\

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Plants might help. Click on this link for help on what plants to put in your tank:

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yay, live plants will help because they take away the nutrients that the algae would normally use and use it for themselves to grow, thus cutting down on the algae in a tank. I read this in a pamphlet at one the petstores near me.
Tom

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tom said:
Yay, live plants will help because they take away the nutrients that the algae would normally use and use it for themselves to grow, thus cutting down on the algae in a tank. I read this in a pamphlet at one the petstores near me.
Tom
Yep. Plants compete for nutrients with the algae. Good job Tom!

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK, sounds like I'm going to have some plants in my tank now! Thanks for the help I hope it brings my algae under control. Cann't hurt and might look better, I get to try my wet geen thumb. :

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gunnie said:
Tom said:
Tom
Yep. Plants compete for nutrients with the algae. Good job Tom!
Thanks, Gunnie.
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'v found that hornwort grows under most conditions and does wonders helping algae keep in check, just let it float.

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I haven't found plants to be much of a help. In fact the algae is worse since I have to give them more lightening, CO2, and fertilizers. I'm having a brush algae outbreak now and don't know how to get rid of it. I want some algae in my tank since I have Otos, though.

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the suggestions I think I will give hornwart a go. without adding anything to my tank, other than the plants. ;D

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Eskielvr said:
I haven't found plants to be much of a help. In fact the algae is worse since I have to give them more lightening, CO2, and fertilizers. I'm having a brush algae outbreak now and don't know how to get rid of it. I want some algae in my tank since I have Otos, though.
Low light plants don't need any more light than what you provide. You don't have to have special lighting and CO2 to have live plants, and I hardly ever fertilize mine. Cut back on your ferts and see if the algae goes down some!

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've looked up the care requirements of Amazon Swords and Anarcharis. Both require a minimum of 2 watts per gallon. They're currently getting about 3 watts per gallon and anything over that needs to be fertilized with CO2. Also under the care instructions it says they need to be supplemented with fertilizers.

I had to turn the lights off for a few days to treat my fish and it greatly impacted the health of my Swords. The leaves had started to turn yellow. Before I supplemented with fertilizer and Iron I had similar problems with them. The new leaves, however, are coming in big and strong and are a nice dark green color.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom