Tank Furniture and missing scales

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Natty, Aug 3, 2015.

1. NattyNew MemberMember

Hello again everyone:;hi1

Here is my goldfish (I cant find how to edit my profile picture to put her picture in it :confused: )

My fish has grown from a normal size goldfish (when my daughter came home with her nearly 10 years ago! from the local fair) into a big approximately 7 inch body goldfish with big fins and tail. Over the years we have had to take out ornaments that she used to love swimming into but have had to take them out as shes outgrown them and would get stuck in them if we kept them. The problem we have now is I cant find anything big enough to put into the tank for her to swim in or around that won't do her any harm. I bought an expensive log from the petshop about 4 months back but she got stuck under that for a few seconds and so I chucked that out (as im not even sure that had something to do with the next question about missing scales as well)

The fish tank looks very bare with just a couple of false bushes in it. I dont know what to get her. I don't mean for looks for us, I mean for her to make her a happy fish. Concidering her BIG size it is so difficult to find ANYTHING at all so if anyone has any good ideas what to get I'd appreciate any tips :;thx

So my second question is do you think that's why she's lost quite a lot of scales? as she got stuck in something she pulled them off as she escaped ? or could there be another reason for the scale loss? old age? she doesnt seem ill in any way shape or form but I worry for her.

2. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

You could make her a tunnel out of smooth stones siliconed together, that might work for her since it would be completely customizable. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. ReyesValued MemberMember

I had to take almost every rock and piece of wood from the tank for my Blackmoor because he was almost blind and kept bumping into them.

How about some plants? I have found Anubias and Java Fern to be the only ones that can resist in a Goldfish tank, they are low maintenance and you wouldn't need to buy any additional equipment, maybe buy them attached to a piece of wood that doesn't have any sharp corners.

4. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Terra Cotta pots are good and safe, just plain unglazed, good ol terra cotta pots from the garden or home improvement store. You can also silicone them together if you want to make structures with them. Also, PVC is another route to go if you want to make a sort of tunnel for her to swim through. If you dont like the look of plain PVC, you can get some aquarium safe smooth river rocks or smooth gravel, and cover it with that to help it blend in. Like Bijou88 you could use silicone to attach the rocks. With the PVC if you find the edges are still a bit sharper than your liking, its nothing a dremel or sander cant fix.

5. NattyNew MemberMember

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  6. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

As far as PVC goes, just go to your local hardware store. Check the large fittings, like the T shape one in that video. You'd just have to see how large they are compared to your fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

Wow, good for you! I remember those being at the fair when I was a kid (about 20 years ago :-\ )and I don't think they fared as well.

8. NattyNew MemberMember

ye, and I think I've renewed my tank size about 4 times since then.. the last one cost 200 quid ! a very very expensive fair attraction!! but I love her sooo much ;)

9. NattyNew MemberMember

Im going to B and Q tomorrow :) cant wait!! hope she likes it

I went to the DIY store and I couldn't decide what kind of pipe to get . Does the pipe have to be big enough to fit the whole fish through, fins and all? or just her body size? because its going to have to be a massive pipe at this rate!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015