Tank Friends For German Rams?

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I currently have a pair of German Ram cichlids. I've tested the water and it's perfect. They're about an inch in size currently.
What can be kept with them? When I first got them the tank was at 72 degrees and I've since corrected and bumped them to 78-80. Someone recommended me Neon Tetras and those died off so quick, even though they were fine in my other tank.
So what are good compatible tankmates for my newest babies? Another one recommended was Cardinal Rasboras, but I usually prefer more color. And I want to make sure they are temp compatible...

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If its a 20g long or bigger, a school of cardinal or rummynose tetras would work well as they prefer water temps that the rams like. You cpuld do a school of 8 of either.

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My bad, I usually type that first. It's a standard 20 with a 40 filter on it.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could do a school, but what is the real point of the pair then. your going to have a lower survival rate with fry because the tetras will eat them. they will also cause them more stress, making it more likely to consume the eggs.

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DutchAquarium said:
You could do a school, but what is the real point of the pair then. your going to have a lower survival rate with fry because the tetras will eat them. they will also cause them more stress, making it more likely to consume the eggs.
I honestly don't care to have a bunch of Ram babies. I don't know what I would do with them. And the tank looks so empty with just them.
I got the pair because everything I read said they should stay in couples. So I got a male and female, whether they've officially "paired" I dont know.

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sam Rosenbaum said:
I have Cardinal Tetras in my ram tank and they seem to be doing great so far.
I do like the cardinals, I'm just curious to know what my other options are.

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
75g Discus Tank said:
I'd do cardinals and keep the tank at 80-82.

You could also have some warmer water corydoras like sterbai.
I love Corys, but for the life of me I can't keep them alive. No matter qhat i fees them. Someone else said maybe Kuhlis as the cleaners? Would they be okay?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom