Tank For A Betta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
At this point, considering how clueless I am about filters and whatnot, I'm definitely looking to go with a kit... At least for this tank. If/when I upgrade one of my other tanks to something big (hopefully a 55 gallon), I think I'll want to pick out my own filter and heater because that's a much bigger investment.
I would highly recommend reading up on types of filters and types of filter media before you buy anything. It sounds super complicated at first, but it really isn't that bad. You will save so much money if you know what you need for your set-up before you go to the store. The filter cartridges with carbon in them that come with almost every new filter, for instance, are very expensive in the long run because you need to replace them every few weeks, but they don't offer the same benefits as less expensive media that won't need replacing hardly ever if at all. Even if you go with a kit, you can stuff pretty much whatever kind of media you want in the filter that comes it. For a betta only tank, you can probably just get by with a sponge cut to fit in there, but tucking some biological media (ceramic, lava rock, pumice stone) in there to keep your bacteria colony stable is a good idea too. Understanding filters goes hand in hand with understanding the nitrogen cycle.

Trust me, research first, buy second. Don't be like me and end up with a box full of aquarium stuff that you'll never use again tucked into your closet.

RyleighJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would highly recommend reading up on types of filters and types of filter media before you buy anything. It sounds super complicated at first, but it really isn't that bad. You will save so much money if you know what you need for your set-up before you go to the store. The filter cartridges with carbon in them that come with almost every new filter, for instance, are very expensive in the long run because you need to replace them every few weeks, but they don't offer the same benefits as less expensive media that won't need replacing hardly ever if at all. Even if you go with a kit, you can stuff pretty much whatever kind of media you want in the filter that comes it. For a betta only tank, you can probably just get by with a sponge cut to fit in there, but tucking some biological media (ceramic, lava rock, pumice stone) in there to keep your bacteria colony stable is a good idea too. Understanding filters goes hand in hand with understanding the nitrogen cycle.

Trust me, research first, buy second. Don't be like me and end up with a box full of aquarium stuff that you'll never use again tucked into your closet.
Do you have any recommendations on places with good info about filters, or should I dig around on Google?

Nadiboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sponge filters are great for a betta(all you'd need is a small one, for a small tank with a light load). They create minimal current, which he(the Betta) would appreciate...

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you go with a hang on back I recommend the AquaClear 20. You can adjust the flow. My betta likes it on medium cuz he likes swimming in the current it creates. Cuz he's weird

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you have any recommendations on places with good info about filters, or should I dig around on Google?
You don't have to go far, actually. This is a good place to start to read up on kinds of media.

As for kinds of filters, they mostly dictate where they are in relation to the tank, how much room there is for media, and how much water it can move through it in an hour. Bettas have a pretty low bio-load and tend to do best with low water flow, so you either want something gentle like a sponge filter or something you can adjust the flow rate on to turn down the current.

navarro1950

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My wife has eight of those 2.5 gal tanks with eight healthy bettas . I'm trying to build tank that I saw on the internet that will hold get this 18 betta fish . As long as the water and tank are clean and the are fed good quality food everything will be fine . And for me we will be down to one betta tank.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My wife has eight of those 2.5 gal tanks with eight healthy bettas . I'm trying to build tank that I saw on the internet that will hold get this 18 betta fish . As long as the water and tank are clean and the are fed good quality food everything will be fine . And for me we will be down to one betta tank.
Please tell me this is not the one. I think she is fine with 8-2.5 gallon tanks.

RyleighJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
In addition to the AquaClear 20, do you guys have any specific brands/filters you would recommend? Or brands you would avoid?

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I personally do not like Aqueon hang on backs. Because you have to change entire filter. AquaClear you just swish or squeeze media every week or every other week.

Nadiboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Please tell me this is not the one. I think she is fine with 8-2.5 gallon tanks.
Not terrible for displaying at a shop...

I personally do not like Aqueon hang on backs. Because you have to change entire filter. AquaClear you just swish or squeeze media every week or every other week.
Most of the cartridge HOB filters can be easily filled with sponge and bio media.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishboy321

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Feel free to crucify me, but I've found that my betta is perfectly happy in his 1.5. I know you guys will call me out for it, but as long as he's happy, I'm happy.
It depends on the fish, some feel safer in a small tank andsome feel cramped in a smalltank, but in the future I would just tell people a 2.5 is minimum

alex336

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have mine on a FluVal Spec III... got it on Amazon for less than $50, price goes up to like $67 and down to like $47 depending on the frame color (black or white, doesn't make a difference to me). I like it... it's glass, the filter is OK and the pump outlet needs a small mod to make it Betta-friendly.

Yeah, the smaller tanks need more frequent maintenance, but depending on space available they could be a good choice. I can't have a 10g on my desk, but the 2.6 FluVal is just fine.

The Petco $1 x gallon is great for those that may have some equipment laying around or that have other needs for tanks. They are prefect / cheap for invertebrates (terrestrial tarantulas, scorpions, etc.), all I need to add is a mesh lid.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just got this at Walmart for $30. it didn't come with a heater though. Most of them don't. You will also need to get dechlorinator's and other supplies. Fish keeping isn't cheap that's for sure.

The hood, lights, and filter are great. Don't need to be replaced. I actually have two of these tanks. One for my betta and one as my quarantine tank.

RyleighJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just got this at Walmart for $30. it didn't come with a heater though. Most of them don't. You will also need to get dechlorinator's and other supplies. Fish keeping isn't cheap that's for sure.

The hood, lights, and filter are great. Don't need to be replaced. I actually have two of these tanks. One for my betta and one as my quarantine tank.
Is the aquarium itself glass or something else? For some reason I just have a preference for glass tanks

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is the aquarium itself glass or something else? For some reason I just have a preference for glass tanks
It is a glass tank. I prefer glass also. I just threw away this acrylic 5g that I hated with a passion. I have 2 spare smaller acrylics I can use for a hospital tank if needed at some point. But I already know I am going to buy a glass 2.5 to replace them.

Here is my set up. I divided the one 10g and am planning to add a second betta in a few weeks to it. I have the Aqueon 50w heater. I think it was around $30 but totally worth it. I've used it in 3 tanks so far. Had it almost a year with no issues.

28d4a0101d2e0bbe18c54dbd4e08b346.jpg

e44ffa0dadcaf9d3bb1269c1a2e49d53.jpg

e93163051a22a9dee2208a8f1297076d.jpg

Last edited:

RyleighJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is a glass tank. I prefer glass also. I just threw away this acrylic 5g that I hated with a passion. I have 2 spare smaller acrylics I can use for a hospital tank if needed at some point. But I already know I am going to buy a glass 2.5 to replace them.

Here is my set up. I divided the one 10g and am planning to add a second betta in a few weeks to it. I have the Aqueon 50w heater. I think it was around $30 but totally worth it. I've used it in 3 tanks so far. Had it almost a year with no issues.

View attachment 306921

View attachment 306922
View attachment 306923
I definitely think I'm going to look into getting that one, then. You can't beat $30! I just need to know where to put it I need to find the specs for my desk and see how much weight it's really rated to hold.

If it is rated to hold 200 pounds, like I originally thought, would it be safe to put a (roughly) 100 pound fish tank on?

RyleighJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is the desk I have, and it says each section can hold 100lbs. That's really, really close to the weight of a full tank so... What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 14 73.7%

Top Bottom