Tank For A Betta | Page 2

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by RyleighJ, Apr 17, 2017.

1. iamclaire

iamclaireValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +50
    The marineland comes with a filter, and if you can, do a search for aquarium heaters on ebay

2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,542
    A gallon of water is approximately 8.35 pounds, so a full 10 Gallon is over 83½ pounds.

3. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

RyleighJValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +155
    Experience:
    Just started
    I think my desk is rated to hold 200 pounds... But I really don't want to find both my desk and my aquarium on the floor

The reason I asked about the goldfish is because I do have mine in a bigger tank right now and was wondering if a betta could just go in that tank, but if goldfish don't like warm water, I don't want to make him uncomfortable.

Thanks so much for the help everyone! I really appreciate it c:

4. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,588
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have my betta tank on a table. Fits perfectly. My husband and I both tested it out for weight together. Hehehe.

Yeah goldfish and betta totally not compatible! Hehe. Be nice if they were at times. Your welcome :)

5. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

Ratings:
    +155
    Experience:
    Just started
    I kept a betta with this same goldfish several years ago, but now that I know bettas need heaters, it's no wonder that the poor betta isn't still around ):

6. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,588
    Experience:
    Just started
    Bettas are tough but unless you live in tropical climate they need heater. I know! I'm surprised I was able to keep betta alive when I was a kid! 1/2 gallon water and no heater or filter or anything. Ugh.

7. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

Ratings:
    +155
    Experience:
    Just started
    I wish the big chain pet stores would tell you that when you bought them :\ Of course, you should do your research before you buy a fish, but 90% of people just go and impulse buy the poor bettas and have no clue

8. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,588
    Experience:
    Just started
    It'd be nice and if I knowledgeable person is working they do(which is how I found out about cycling a tank). But if they don't tell you the fish dies and you come back and get another fish

9. Morefiend

MorefiendValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    5 years
    I went for the PetCo $1 sale but ended up not buying one...with say $10 for the tank, cost of filter, decorations, etc...I ended up buying the Imagitarium Pro Delux 3.7 gallon starter...the tank is similar to the Fluval Spec tanks, with a built in filter. The tank is perfectly sized and allows for using different media for the filter.

10. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That $1 per gallon sale isn't all it's cracked up to be. Bettas have to have lids, now your price it up to $45, Oh they need heaters so that's $65 a sponge filter tubing and pump brings you around $80. I'll never do it again, It's the most expensive 10 gallon I have. I just got a 5.5 gallon kit at petsmart on sale for $29.99 and found a heater for $15. They also have a 10 gallon kit online for $49 dollars that has tank, filter, hood, and adjustable heater. I could have gotten two ten gallons for what it cost me to outfit the one from the $1 per gallon sale.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  11. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,588
    Experience:
    Just started
    You can get a kit as well. I just personally prefer picking everything out individually. I also didn't go for a sponge filter I went with a HOB. It is an option to consider as well as getting everything all together.

12. Morefiend

MorefiendValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    5 years
    You can buy a kit, but the $1 a gallon only applies to the tank itself not kits, at least at the PetCo's in California. My Imagitarium Pro (PetCo's own brand), is $47.99...all I needed was gravel and decor that my daughter picked out. It came with filter media...

13. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,957
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I went for a hang on back as well because the sponges take up too much room in smaller tanks. My hospital tank and emergency sponges are hidden in my 55 behind some rocks and my twenty behind some plants. The total cost of my set up was $97. I would have bought the 20L anyway because it doesn't come in a kit and I want it for shell dwellers. I have no problem customizing that, but $97 for a 10 gallon set up that is nothing special? Not again, unless I need another 20L or I have a tank crack/fail.

14. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,588
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah only to tanks by themselves. Kits are not in the sale. Oh cool! Yeah I like to pick out everything personally. Make sure I can get the best I can afford. That's awesome! Hehe. I made myself pick a normal black gravel. Hehe.

15. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,588
    Experience:
    Just started
    Mine wasn't that expensive, at almost $100! I don't think. Wow! But then I did buy more decorations and gravel the following week.

16. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

Ratings:
    +155
    Experience:
    Just started
    At this point, considering how clueless I am about filters and whatnot, I'm definitely looking to go with a kit... At least for this tank. If/when I upgrade one of my other tanks to something big (hopefully a 55 gallon), I think I'll want to pick out my own filter and heater because that's a much bigger investment.

17. Nadiboy

NadiboyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    The bigger the better. I keep Bettas with a variety of other fish at work, so this is also something to remember. A betta can definitely POTENTIALLY be a part of a community tank, dependant upon the individual Bettas attitude, and the species that make up the community. Seems you aren't looking to set up a big tank, but I find they work well with dwarf aquatic frogs, small tetras(not TOO small!), And even shrimp.

18. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

Ratings:
    +155
    Experience:
    Just started
    I suppose they wouldn't be compatible with African clawed frogs? I have a 10g set up with an ACF now, but I think they have different requirements than an ADF.

19. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,588
    Experience:
    Just started
    Cool beans! I know you can get kits at most stores :). They usually come with a preset to 78* heater which is fine. I think the 10 gallon one I have seen at Petco comes with a big enough filter (8-10x the size of the tank).

Ohh yes I like the 55 I am going to set up (got for free!!)

Betta can go in community tanks dependent on the bettas attitude. Ninja would have been a great community betta! Frazier is a very much a MY tank kind of betta. Although I might get him a snail.

I think it's only the dwarf African frog they can be with. Just be careful cuz the frog doesn't have the greatest eye sight in the world o have heard. Hehe. If you go for a community with other fish minimal size is 20 long

20. Nadiboy

NadiboyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    I would worry about the clawed frogs eating or trying to eat the Betta!