Tank For A Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by RyleighJ, Apr 17, 2017.

1. RyleighJ

RyleighJValued MemberMember

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced betta tank? I'm looking for a tank of a sufficient size for a betta (not sure what that is) with everything included (filter, light, and heater). Preferably something I can sit on my desk!

Sorry for asking so many (betta) related questions in a row, but I thought they were different enough to warrant different threads.

Thanks!

2. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

2.5 gallon is the absolute minimum. If you can do it I'd do 5 though because the smaller the tank the harder to maintain. There are 2.5-5 gal starter kits at Walmart and Petsmart but know you may have to replace the heater (78 F is the minimum)

3. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

As aforementioned, 2.5 gallons is the absolute minimum. Most 2.5 gallon betta kits come with a filter but you may need to supply a heater, which is a necessity. 5-10 gallons is better; I had a 5 gallon that sits comfortably by my computer. Walmart has decently priced 5 and 10 gallon starter kits as well. You want something more professional and sleek, look at the Fluval and ADA nano tanks. A lot of those kits have lighting that can grow plants as well, which the standard lighting of most cheap aquariums cannot do very well.

If you're buying just a bare tank, get a 5/5.5 gallon or larger. I highly recommend a sponge filter. They may be unsightly, but are inexpensive and prevent surface film, as well as having no chance of the betta getting sucked into a filter intake... which unfortunately is what killed my poor betta a couple of months ago.

4. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Feel free to crucify me, but I've found that my betta is perfectly happy in his 1.5. I know you guys will call me out for it, but as long as he's happy, I'm happy.

5. Danjamesdixon

DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

What are you basing "happy" on, exactly? Either way, your point may or may not be valid, but it's not something to condone to other members.

The conservative stocking brigade has arrived - no Betta in anything less than a 10gal!

6. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Not crucifying you at all.

However, bettas are curious, intelligent fish. Given ample room, they enjoy exploring, and any new addition to their tank becomes the fixation of their curiosity. Bettas get bored in small living quarters which can lead to lethargy, and behaviors such as tail-biting.

7. FishL:))

FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

2.5 - 5 gallons minimum :)

8. MattS99

Eating healthy, coloration, swims around quite a bit. He's always been slightly lazy and 'naps' frequently, but that's just his personality.

9. iamclaire

iamclaireValued MemberMember

I know what you mean. Some of my bettas can't stand being in a larger tank, and some can't stand the smaller set ups. It's all about watching your betta and finding out which they are most comfortable with. They really do have their own personalities, and each one is different.

Petco.com has a marineland 5 gallon portrait on sale right now for 55$, really it's just catching a good sale.

I got my fluval spec on sale at petsmart between late November and early December of last year for 50$

And sometimes a store will sell you the floor model for a discounted price!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  10. justinmo

justinmoValued MemberMember

Not going to crucify you, it won't matter much anyways but I wouldn't ever put my betta in a tank that small, assuming you have a stable heater and cycled filter, I just don't think it's enough space but it's on you. I don't see harm in giving him a bigger tank and I'm 99% sure he'll be much happier if you did. But anyways I wouldn't go around recommending that to others especially newbies because that isn't an ideal set-up.

EDIT: there's going to be special cases in every betta (like it seems to be with yours, would've been nice to know beforehand)

But to the OP, I would look into specifically the Fluval Spec V. It's a 5 gallon tank with dimensions close to a 10 and that's the way I would go if I was going to get a tank kit. It's on the pricey side but if you venture into live plants it has a light that will be able to grow low-medium light plants. I would also get a longer tank as opposed to a taller tank.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  11. MattS99

I've had at least 10 bettas in varying sizes over the years. He was either hiding or harassing my other fish in my 20g community, hiding in an 8 gallon I set up for him with a snail. I moved him to the 1.5 as a quarentine after fin rot, but he started acting better, swimming in it and such. So I've just let him be.

12. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Petco is having the $1 per gallon sale right now! I'd say go get your betta a 10 gallon tank! :). My betta explores all over his tank

13. Briggs

BriggsWell Known MemberMember

I second this! If he seems uncomfortable in the slightly larger tank (most won't), buy a couple of silk or live plants and something that will work as a cave for him to hide in when he needs to. A 10 gallon tank that you buy a lid, heater and filter for isn't going to cost more than a kit usually, though it might take a little more research to find equipment that you like. I say this as someone who has pretty much only bought all-in-ones so far. It's not usually worth it unless you're buying it for aesthetic reasons. Kits usually come with poor lighting, less than ideal filters and no heater.

14. kwerbach

kwerbachNew MemberMember

I ditto the recommendation on the Fluval Spec V. With a few modifications for a betta fish, it makes a perfect tank. It comes with a light and a very good filter. You will just need to pay extra for a heater.

15. ChichLove79

ChichLove79Valued MemberMember

This is such an awesome aquarium kit, wish I bought it instead of my Aqueon. Mainly because the Marineland bio wheel is so much better.

16. Briggs

BriggsWell Known MemberMember

If you have a little extra money, the Spec is a beautiful tank and I do love mine. My biggest gripe is with the lid and it's not super betta specific. (I can not keep a snail in it without constructing a new lid. My little olive nerite found his way out of the gap in the lid twice in less than a week before I gave up and put him in another tank. ) It tends to run between $75-$100, though, and still needs a heater. I got mine for $65ish on sale. I still probably spent at least $200 all together when you add the cost of the heater, substrate, plants, decor, chemicals, and supplies for modifying it. If you weren't concerned about live plants, you could probably shave around $75 off that. Just know that the cost of even an all-in-one set up is just part of the cost of a healthy fish tank.

17. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

My betta was in a small cup at Petco. Took him a couple days to realize he had to swim for his food! Hehe. But he has a couple decorations an Anubias nana and Anacharis. Gonna get some Java fern in May! Frazier LOVES it! I have an Aqueon adjustable heater set to 79* and an AquaClear 20 HOB set on medium cuz my betta likes to swim against the current a few times each day

18. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

Wow! So many suggestions! I definitely don't want to go with anything less than a 5 gallon, and I'm even hesitant to go that small. Will a betta be legitimately happy and thrive in a 5 gallon?

I think I'm either going to go with the Marineland 5 gallon portrait, the Fluval Spec V, or the Marineland 10 gallon BioWheel.

I think I'm going to steer away from the Fluval because of its price, and it doesn't include a heater. I looove that the 5g Marineland had the nighttime lights, but does it include a filter and a heater? The Petco site doesn't say so, so I assume not. How much would it cost to buy a decent heater? I'm really loving the Marineland 10g. Would I need to replace the heater/filter/light with something better, or is it good to go as is? And is the light good to grow plants?

And since Petco is having the $1/gallon sale, would it be cheaper to go that route? How much would a filter, heater, light, and lid cost?

Aand one last question. How much does a full 10 gallon aquarium weigh? I assume I couldn't sit it on my glass desk I'm running out of places to put aquariums. I have two in my bedroom already, and the only places I have left are my desk and my nightstand. My nightstand would probably work, though. It's big enough, and solid wood.

Okay, wow, that was a lot of questions! So I'll put them all together lol

Does the 5g Marineland come with a filter and heater?

Would I need to replace the filter or heater in the Marineland 10g, or would I need to replace the light to grow plants?

How much would it cost to buy everything individually, taking into account the $1/gallon sale?

How much does a full 10 gallon aquarium weigh? It couldn't sit on a glass top desk, right?

19. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

Wait, I actually have one more question! Could I keep a betta with my goldfish? Would it be okay to keep my goldfish at the same temperature I'd keep a betta, or do they exclusively need cold water?

20. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

@RyleighJ. Hehe. Figure 10lbs per gallon so a 10 gallon tank will weigh around 100 pounds full. An adjustable heater 50w is about $30. Lid about $20 I think? I got the lid that came with a light though. And filter I forget? But about $20-$30 I think?

Betta like temperatures between 78-82* F goldfish like colder water about 65*F Plus goldfish need way bigger like 30-40 gallons for one fancy and a pond for a common.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice