Tank Footprint?

Faytaya

bizaliz3 said:
A calculator is also not the best gauge. Its an ok place to start...but the calculator doesn't factor in compatibility of the fish, temperature requirements or the footprint of the tank (Which is more important than gallons in my opinion)
You mention a tank's footprint. I'm new myself, and you have my attention. Can you elaborate on what that entails?

nikm128

Faytaya said:
You mention a tank's footprint. I'm new myself, and you have my attention. Can you elaborate on what that entails?
Dimensions, length, width and height.
If you have a 60 gallon cube tank that's 2'x2'x2' you might as well stock it like a 20 gallon tall tank since the length is the same, it's only a little bit wider, and height doesn't increase capacity much except for things like angelfish, but angels don't belong in a 2' tank so...

bizaliz3

Faytaya said:
The length and width of the tank.

The problem is when it comes to taller tanks like column tanks....they may have decent gallons, but not as much length. And for many fish....they benefit so much more from that extra length vs extra gallons. Especially active fish.

One good example is a standard 29 gallon vs a standard 30g. There is only a 1 gallon difference in volume, but the 30 gallon is slightly shorter and has 6 extra inches of length. And 6 inches makes a big difference. More than you would expect honestly.

With that being said....if I am stocking a standard 29g, I would pick one type of schooling fish only and give them a nice sized school. If I am stocking a standard 30g, i'd go for two different schools of good size. Not because I have one more gallon, but because I have 6 more inches of length.

Does that make sense?

Faytaya

bizaliz3 said:
The length and width of the tank.

The problem is when it comes to taller tanks like column tanks....they may have decent gallons, but not as much length. And for many fish....they benefit so much more from that extra length vs extra gallons. Especially active fish.

One good example is a standard 29 gallon vs a standard 30g. There is only a 1 gallon difference in volume, but the 30 gallon is slightly shorter and has 6 extra inches of length. And 6 inches makes a big difference. More than you would expect honestly.

With that being said....if I am stocking a standard 29g, I would pick one type of schooling fish only and give them a nice sized school. If I am stocking a standard 30g, i'd go for two different schools of good size. Not because I have one more gallon, but because I have 6 more inches of length.

Does that make sense?
Absolutely. In fact, that's perfectly useful for helping me plan my bigger tank. It's length that and width that should win out in planning over depth/gallons.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom