Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Tank Finally Cycling..

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Zai, Mar 21, 2019.

1. ZaiValued MemberMember

I think my 20 gallon is finally starting to cycle. I've been having a heck of a time even with starting it with TSS but I'm finally seeing nitrites appear.
    I'm still doing 50%water changes every morning but before I wasn't seeing any nitrites so yay progress!

Just in time to move in 2 weeks and have to empty the tank xD
    But I'll be keeping as much of the water as possible and I'll have all the filter media. The tank also shouldn't even have a chance to dry so hopefully the bacteria on the sides and substrate (which will be left untouched if possible) should survive.

Levels this morning were
    Ammonia: .50 (did a 50%water change after)
    Nitrites: .2 (wasn't quite as purple as .25 but was definitely not 0)
    Nitrates: .5
    Ph: 7.2

I'm conditioning the water with prime

2. Logan.t.FosterWell Known MemberMember

Do you have an ammonia source. If so, it sounds like you are almost done! Congratulations!

3. ZaiValued MemberMember

I do, I have 6 fish in the tank and have been doing a fish in cycle bc I didn't know any better when I got them xD I've had them since January and this tanks been set up since the beginning of this month with them in it. They had been in a small uncycled 5 gallon which was too small for them all (the petstore got me..) so I moved them asap and had to start over.

4. Logan.t.FosterWell Known MemberMember

Thats the same way I started out. :)

Good job with the 50% water changes, and good luck with the move. :)

5. ZaiValued MemberMember

It took me a while to figure out what to do bc I started with TSS but it just didn't work? I did something wrong I guess, but it's all working now lol
    Thank you! We move the tank on the 29th so I'm hoping that goes smoothly

6. SharkesseValued MemberMember

Ah, this makes me happy! Congrats! :D

7. ZaiValued MemberMember

Me too, I've been going insane worrying they were going to die before it cycled! It's a relief to see the numbers change