Tank Evaporatiom

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by s.dean9301, Apr 22, 2018.

1. s.dean9301New MemberMember

So I've had my tank set up and cycled for about 1 month and 1 week, but I've noticed unlike my other fishtanks my ten gallon will loose about 40%-50% of its water in a span of 5-7 days. I haven't had a ten gallon before but I've never had this happen with my 2.5 gal, 3 gal, or 5 gal. Is this normal? right now I've been having to add water about every 2-3 days to keep up with the evaporation.

2. Sam2671Valued MemberMember

Id try and make sure there aren’t any leaks, which is unlikely.

Water evaporation depends on a lot of factors: temperature, lighting, lid or no lid, position and location of aquarium

It doesn’t sound out of the norm for it to evaporate that quickly. I used to have a 5 gallon which I had to top up every 2-3 days while my others didn’t need any top ups. The temperature was slightly higher in the 5 gallon than the others so water evaporated faster

3. Puck44Valued MemberMember

Yeah, if the temperature is higher, more water will evaporate. What tempature is your tank at?

4. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

it can be normal for the reasons stated above. for my 5.5 i sometimes have to top it off every few days or not at all depending on the room temp and whether or not i have a lot of sun shinning through my window

5. sfsammWell Known MemberMember

All my tanks vary in their evap rate. One of my 5 gallon tanks is consistent no matter any outside conditions. My 55 evaps way faster when it's very cold or very hot and the one in my room has never lost enough through the week to warrant a top off. The rest vary but stay somewhat less than the 55 during its peaks and more than the one in my room. It dependant on set up and external conditions such as air flow, temperature and humidity in the room and water movement, temp and how much of the top is completely covered. I'm sure there's other factors that play in as well but those are probably the ones that affect it most.

6. s.dean9301New MemberMember

it's 78 degrees

7. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Im thinking there has to be a leak or you have a dog and/or cat drinking it. In all my years keeping tanks I've NEVER lost that much out of that small of a tank at that low of a temp in such a short amount of time. Our 10 gallon open tops only lose about half a gallon every 3-5 days. 5 gallons in 5 days is a TON of water.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  8. Corrie WilliamsonValued MemberMember

I have to agree with duanev. My 10 gallon is in a hot room, right beside a heat vent and is set at 82 degrees and I don't loose that much in a month due to evaporation.

9. GuppyDazzleWell Known MemberMember

Are you pushing a lot of air in the tank? I'd agree that the volume of water loss is a bit alarming. You'd see it under the tank if it was leaking. I guess if there's nothing under the tank it's evaporation, but that's a lot of water to lose.

10. Frozen OneValued MemberMember

Water volume also has a lot to do with it as well right? A lower volume of water will evaporate quicker because it takes less energy to get the water to an evaporating temp.

11. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Not necessarily, and not to the point of losing a gallon a day. That's a TON of water and I don't lose anything close to that in any of my tanks. And the majority of my tanks are open top. Water thats 78 is 78 regardless of whether there is a gallon or 200 gallons. I think most people are heating their tanks, and probably most aquariums are kept at similar temps. The rate of water loss the OP is experiencing is VERY high. Like nothing I've personally ever seen or heard of.

Either there is something else going on besides strictly evaporation, or the OP's estimate of 50% of the tank evaporating every 5ish day is way high. A gallonish every 5 days, sure. But if the tanks being kept at 78 give or take, a gallon a day is WAY too much to be losing due to evaporation only.