Tank Equipment For A 29 Gallon

ValerieAdams
Hey all! I know I've probably posted a ton of different salty threads trying to get info but I finally got a tank to start buying things for! A 29 gallon for $25! Woohoo!

That being said, I need recommendations for equipment. I eventually want corals so I know I will have to get good lights at some point.

This is my current list, any additions or recommendations for brand/style/quantity would be greatly appreciated!
BRS Rock
CaribSea Live Sand
Powerhead(s)
Aquaclear 70 (Do I need bigger?)
Heater(s)
Lights
Tank lid
Refractometer
Salt
RO/DI unit/TDS meter
Better testing kit - Salifert?

mossman
I'd think the Aquaclear 70 would be overkill. You could save a few dollars and get the 50. For a heater, I'd say 150W adjustable (I like the Cobalt Neo-Therm). Can't comment on anything else as I do not have a salted tank.

ValerieAdams
Does anyone know anything about this light? I do want corals so if I would have to upgrade in the future, I don't want it. They're asking $75 for it.

stella1979 penguin02 Lchi87 Sorry, I don't know anyone else to tag

40252590_537184716702318_5384284853258682368_n.jpg

mossman
Great price (Amazon has it listed for $140), but it got negative reviews, most in reference to the switch being garbage and putting off too much blue light. I'd pass on it and try to find a Finnex Ray2 for a bargain price.

ValerieAdams
Great price (Amazon has it listed for $140), but it got negative reviews, most in reference to the switch being garbage and putting off too much blue light. I'd pass on it and try to find a Finnex Ray2 for a bargain price.
Yes, I read those reviews but all the negative ones are from 2015-2016 with only a few from 2017. I think the Finnex is more geared towards freshwater planted tanks but thank you

penguin02
Not sure... I’m pretty inexperienced and don’t know much about equipment. I know that a lot of people regret not getting a super good light to begin with, so it might be worth investing in a more expensive/powerful light (I don’t know what that would be)

ValerieAdams
Lchi87
It looks okay, can probably handle really undemanding corals but in my (very limited) experience, its worth shelling out for the big guns if you’re serious about this. I first went home with a cheapy light and immediately regretted it and promptly returned it for something more expensive but better quality that I had no doubts about. Peace of mind is expensive in reefing but well worth it haha!

ValerieAdams
It looks okay, can probably handle really undemanding corals but in my (very limited) experience, its worth shelling out for the big guns if you’re serious about this. I first went home with a cheapy light and immediately regretted it and promptly returned it for something more expensive but better quality that I had no doubts about. Peace of mind is expensive in reefing but well worth it haha!
I've been trying to find info online about it. I know nothing about corals but basically what I've found is that it will grow zoas & LPS (whatever that means) but it doesn't really create much color or grow them much. The other corals people had turned brown with it. So I'm guessing it's not really a route I want to go

ValerieAdams
There's also someone selling a used Jebao WP-25 for $35, is that a good deal?

stella1979
I honestly think that you will regret the light too. I think you are serious about this, and you'd put corals under that light, then compare their coloration and growth rate to other tanks you know of... and find it lacking. If that weren't the case, and you moved on into more corals, you'd eventually want some of those that people have reported to turn brown under that light. That's exactly what I did, and it only turned into shelling out funds for lights twice within the first year of reefing. One of the corals that didn't like my old light did not recover after the new light was added. The browning, (known as tissue necrosis RTN=rapid tissue necrosis, STN =slow tissue necrosis), had already started and though I've done all I can, it is still slowly dying several months later. It's a green slimer acro. One of the first branching corals that I fell for when I first started my research. Anyhow, don't be like me.

As for the Jebao... pretty sure you can buy that particular one for about $30 brand new on eBay. Just have to wait for it to come from China. It's a pretty old model I think, and if it were me, I'd prefer to spend a little more and get it quick and brand new from Amazon.

Since these are not top of the line, nor made or warrantied in the US, I'd highly recommend spending the extra few bucks for Amazon's protection plan.

Here are a few good eye candy videos that will help in identifying and caring for softies, LPS, and SPS corals.

BRStv's 52 weeks of reefing was and is an invaluable resource for us. There's lots of fancy equipment mentioned and all that, but there is so much to learn as well.

ValerieAdams
Thanks Stella! Is there another powerhead/wavemaker that would be better than that brand? What lights would you recommend I look into?

stella1979
I use two of those exact powerheads on my own reef. But, of course, there are better ones which of course were way out of my price range. Check out Tunze, Sicce, and Ecotech if you want to see the top of the line stuff.

Same goes for lighting. Ecotech, Aqua Illumination, Kessil and Maxspect are all great brands, but you'll pay for them. Also, with the first three, you're looking at pendant or small box style lights... meaning I'd need two of them to cover the length of the 20 gallon long, which is the same length as a 29 gallon I think. 30 inches, yes? Anyhow, like Lchi, I knew the next light purchase had to be the best I could get, because replacing crappy lighting gets expensive. So, for a long light, it was down to the Maxspect Razor or the one I got, an SB Reef Lights Ultra 22". I won't give everyone sticker shock here, but neither option was cheap. Still, I couldn't be happier to have a great light after the initial experience. It'll grow whatever I want and will even support a bigger tank if I ever have the space and budget needed for an upgrade.

The only less expensive light I know a tiny bit about is a Current USA Marine Orbit. Culprit has one running his 20 gallon long mixed reef, and he has been quite successful with it.

ValerieAdams
I use two of those exact powerheads on my own reef. But, of course, there are better ones which of course were way out of my price range. Check out Tunze, Sicce, and Ecotech if you want to see the top of the line stuff.

Same goes for lighting. Ecotech, Aqua Illumination, Kessil and Maxspect are all great brands, but you'll pay for them. Also, with the first three, you're looking at pendant or small box style lights... meaning I'd need two of them to cover the length of the 20 gallon long, which is the same length as a 29 gallon I think. 30 inches, yes? Anyhow, like Lchi, I knew the next light purchase had to be the best I could get, because replacing crappy lighting gets expensive. So, for a long light, it was down to the Maxspect Razor or the one I got, an SB Reef Lights Ultra 22". I won't give everyone sticker shock here, but neither option was cheap. Still, I couldn't be happier to have a great light after the initial experience. It'll grow whatever I want and will even support a bigger tank if I ever have the space and budget needed for an upgrade.

The only less expensive light I know a tiny bit about is a Current USA Marine Orbit. Culprit has one running his 20 gallon long mixed reef, and he has been quite successful with it.
I've been browsing lighting and some of them are $700+ which I just cannot do lol. I will look into those brands and see what I can find lol. I don't really want to do two different light fixtures, so I'll probably try to find a long one. But yes, a 29 is 30 inches long.

Marinedepot.com does have a monthly payment thing on the Maxspects which would be totally doable.

For lights, how many watts do I need? I see there's several different options within those brands

As far as RO/DI units go, do you think this would be a good one? It has a built in TDS meter which I feel would be nice.

ValerieAdams
Okay, so upon getting the tank, the trim (not sure if that's the right word? but the black stuff around the tank) is falling off. Which leads me to believe that it is quite old and would possibly need resealed. Which I am very annoyed about because I specifically asked if anything was wrong with it and I was told there was not.

On the bright side, my local pet store is having a dollar per gallon sale! YAAYYYYYY! (Nearest PetCo is an hour and a half+ away)

So that being said, do I try to fix up the old 29, or do I sell it in this weekends yard sale and purchase a new tank?

If I purchase a new one, would you still go with a 29? Or do a 20 long or 40 breeder or?

mossman
AFAIK, the black trim doesn't actually provide any kind of seal. It gives some structural support to the glass panes and dresses up the tank. If it's falling off, I would just glue it back. You could also just get a new tank. Size is personal preference, so hard to answer that one. I would say 29 or larger so your stocking options aren't as limited.

stella1979
Yeah, the rims can be reattached, but like said above, they do provide some stability for the glass, so broken rims could be dangerous. On smaller tanks, rims can be removed with no problems, but with larger tanks, if the rI'm is removed a top brace should be added to prevent bowing and massive accidents! I'm not sure at which size a brace is a must, but I'm pretty sure Aquapros on YouTube is a good source for info on this.

Also, this does indicate some age on the tank, sooo, a good look at the silicone as well as a 48-72 hour leak test should be done OUTSIDE. Scraping and reapplying silicone isn't all that hard but will take some time and elbow grease. Is it worth it when a dollar per gallon sale is going on? No, not in my opinion.

Size... well, yes, bigger is better as far as stocking goes, and most would say for stability in water parameters too. However, a smallish, shallower reef tank is cheaper to light and provide adequate flow and filtration... and I've had no issues with parameter stability in a 20 gallon over the past 1.5 years. Topping off and regular maintenance are key, but yeah, I've skipped a water change or two now and then. I also quite like nano fish. My personal opinion is that a 20 gallon long is a perfect first reef tank.

ValerieAdams
Yeah, the rims can be reattached, but like said above, they do provide some stability for the glass, so broken rims could be dangerous. On smaller tanks, rims can be removed with no problems, but with larger tanks, if the rI'm is removed a top brace should be added to prevent bowing and massive accidents! I'm not sure at which size a brace is a must, but I'm pretty sure Aquapros on YouTube is a good source for info on this.

Also, this does indicate some age on the tank, sooo, a good look at the silicone as well as a 48-72 hour leak test should be done OUTSIDE. Scraping and reapplying silicone isn't all that hard but will take some time and elbow grease. Is it worth it when a dollar per gallon sale is going on? No, not in my opinion.

Size... well, yes, bigger is better as far as stocking goes, and most would say for stability in water parameters too. However, a smallish, shallower reef tank is cheaper to light and provide adequate flow and filtration... and I've had no issues with parameter stability in a 20 gallon over the past 1.5 years. Topping off and regular maintenance are key, but yeah, I've skipped a water change or two now and then. I also quite like nano fish. My personal opinion is that a 20 gallon long is a perfect first reef tank.
Thanks! That was my thoughts too, why waste time when there's a sale lol.

Do you think there would be much difference in equipment for 20 long vs. a 29 or 40 breeder?

stella1979
That's actually a pretty loaded question for me V. See, when I started this 'budget' reef build, I got certain things that just didn't last, including the pumps and the light. A pump broke 3 months in, and the light just wasn't cutting it. It hurt a bit having to replace pumps so soon, and the light... well, it took us some time to save for the new one, but we were unhappy with that first one within 4-5 months too. By the time I was replacing these things, I had learned a bit.

We knew we wanted controllable wavemakers (to create a variable flow pattern that more closely mimics the ebb and flow in the ocean), and our best budget option were a couple of Jebao SW-2's. It is our choice to run two wavemakers because we believe that flow from each end is better than stronger flow from one end, though I know of a very successful 20 gallon long running off of just one SW2. However, I don't know of smaller or cheaper wavemakers with the options I was looking for. So, I keep the SW-2's on the lowest speed setting, as two of these pumps are more than a 20 gallon long needs. They'd definitely support a 29g, and maybe even a 40g.

Same goes for the light. We weren't about to spend money on lighting for the 2nd time, and find that it too left something to be desired. I run my LED at about 40% of its capacity, and I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I do believe that light would support any light-needy coral I want to put under it.

So, the answer to your question is yes, you can equip a smaller tank for much less than a larger one, but the question remains, what are your goals? Do you want to be able to support any coral that catches your eye? If so, don't cheap out on lighting or flow. Do you want the ability to upgrade tank sizes one day, but would like to be able to use current equipment for it?

On the other hand, there is that wildly successful 20 gallon I mentioned earlier. This guy uses a single SW-2, a Current USA Marine Orbit LED, and grows everything from softies to SPS very well. I don't consider this equipment to be cheaping out at all, but would they be able to support an upgrade to a 40g? No, I don't think so. Supporting a 40 gallon wasn't my thinking when deciding to use 2 wavemakers, or get the LED I have though.

I don't really think about a bigger tank much at all, but here's the other thing. Way back when we were shopping for stands, we couldn't find one short enough for our needs, so ended up using a piece of furniture sold as an entryway bench, like might be placed in a foyer. Our tank is under a counter, so the height of the stand was important. Ehhh, it would support a 40g, so will my pumps, and so will my light. So, maybe someday. Sorry, I'm really probably not the best to advise you here

ValerieAdams
That's actually a pretty loaded question for me V. See, when I started this 'budget' reef build, I got certain things that just didn't last, including the pumps and the light. A pump broke 3 months in, and the light just wasn't cutting it. It hurt a bit having to replace pumps so soon, and the light... well, it took us some time to save for the new one, but we were unhappy with that first one within 4-5 months too. By the time I was replacing these things, I had learned a bit.

We knew we wanted controllable wavemakers (to create a variable flow pattern that more closely mimics the ebb and flow in the ocean), and our best budget option were a couple of Jebao SW-2's. It is our choice to run two wavemakers because we believe that flow from each end is better than stronger flow from one end, though I know of a very successful 20 gallon long running off of just one SW2. However, I don't know of smaller or cheaper wavemakers with the options I was looking for. So, I keep the SW-2's on the lowest speed setting, as two of these pumps are more than a 20 gallon long needs. They'd definitely support a 29g, and maybe even a 40g.

Same goes for the light. We weren't about to spend money on lighting for the 2nd time, and find that it too left something to be desired. I run my LED at about 40% of its capacity, and I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I do believe that light would support any light-needy coral I want to put under it.

So, the answer to your question is yes, you can equip a smaller tank for much less than a larger one, but the question remains, what are your goals? Do you want to be able to support any coral that catches your eye? If so, don't cheap out on lighting or flow. Do you want the ability to upgrade tank sizes one day, but would like to be able to use current equipment for it?

On the other hand, there is that wildly successful 20 gallon I mentioned earlier. This guy uses a single SW-2, a Current USA Marine Orbit LED, and grows everything from softies to SPS very well. I don't consider this equipment to be cheaping out at all, but would they be able to support an upgrade to a 40g? No, I don't think so. Supporting a 40 gallon wasn't my thinking when deciding to use 2 wavemakers, or get the LED I have though.

I don't really think about a bigger tank much at all, but here's the other thing. Way back when we were shopping for stands, we couldn't find one short enough for our needs, so ended up using a piece of furniture sold as an entryway bench, like might be placed in a foyer. Our tank is under a counter, so the height of the stand was important. Ehhh, it would support a 40g, so will my pumps, and so will my light. So, maybe someday. Sorry, I'm really probably not the best to advise you here
Thanks! I plan on getting one of the lights that you had mentioned previously, I definitely want to be able to grow whatever corals catch my eye! I tend to sometimes go over the top with things so I think I would also get two pumps. I think I’m really between the 20 long and the 29. I think the 29 might just allow for a bigger rock formation and maybe an extra fish that the 20 wouldn’t allow for

stella1979
I think you're exactly right! A 29 gallon has the same dimensions for width and depth as the 20 gallon long, it's just 6 inches higher... so the only thing to think about is if the light you have in mind would be enough to keep corals at the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure, but I think you have considered the Current USA Marine, yes? Let me call on Culprit then, as he's the guy running the awesome 20 gallon long with that light. What do you think C, would your GSP island be so lovely and happy if the light were 6 inches higher?

ValerieAdams
I actually was looking into these two options for lights. Just because I don't want to upgrade, ever. Okay, maybe not ever but not for awhile lol. And I don't want my options in corals to be limited. I rather have less hassle and a more expensive light than starting with a cheaper light and possibly needing to upgrade or my corals dying or whatever could happen.

Two of these

Or

Opinions? Would I need more than 150 watts for the Maxspect one? They are about the same price if I do two of the AI Primes and get the mounts for them as well.

ValerieAdams
I think you're exactly right! A 29 gallon has the same dimensions for width and depth as the 20 gallon long, it's just 6 inches higher... so the only thing to think about is if the light you have in mind would be enough to keep corals at the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure, but I think you have considered the Current USA Marine, yes? Let me call on Culprit then, as he's the guy running the awesome 20 gallon long with that light. What do you think C, would your GSP island be so lovely and happy if the light were 6 inches higher?
Also, do you know anything about the MarineDepot RO/DI units? Do you think the TDS meter that is built in to it would be accurate?

stella1979
I don't know much about their RO/DI units, but think I'd trust them. We wanted to set up our water filtration system for drinking too, so went with a system more intended for that use. It didn't include a TDS meter, so I have absolutely no experience with those inline meters. However, Nart has my complete trust, and I believe he uses and trusts an inline meter. Also, MD has a reputation to keep. I do think more people choose BRS, so I'd just recommend looking at their sytems too.

Anyhow, I picked up a handheld meter for about $15 on Amazon, and I'm glad I have a handheld. I use it to check the TDS of my kinda-sorta-not really soft water planted tanks and most often, to mix up fert feedings for my orchids and succulents. Of course, this kinda stuff doesn't pertain to everyone, but I'm happy with my non-reef-branded RO/DI unit and TDS meter. Now, if only I could get a dependable handheld pH meter for so cheap! lol

Nart
ValerieAdams I have MarineDepot's 4-stage advanced RODI system with the inline TDS meter. It's going to be as accurate as any hand held TDS measuring device. The unit itself works very well and it's a standard with other RODI systems like the ones from BRS, AquaFX, and so on... hope this helps.

stella1979
ValerieAdams I have MarineDepot's 4-stage advanced RODI system with the inline TDS meter. It's going to be as accurate as any hand held TDS measuring device. The unit itself works very well and it's a standard with other RODI systems like the ones from BRS, AquaFX, and so on... hope this helps.

Great. Couldn't remember exactly which one you had. Since we've got you here, what would you say about running a 29 gallon reef under a Current USA Marine Orbit? I understand why you wanted an upgrade and rehomed your Current, but it's working pretty great over another tank now. A 29 gallon is 6 inches taller than a 20 gallon long, but I still feel like many LPS would do great in that tank and easy SPS could be placed up high.

ValerieAdams
Great. Couldn't remember exactly which one you had. Since we've got you here, what would you say about running a 29 gallon reef under a Current USA Marine Orbit? I understand why you wanted an upgrade and rehomed your Current, but it's working pretty great over another tank now. A 29 gallon is 6 inches taller than a 20 gallon long, but I still feel like many LPS would do great in that tank and easy SPS could be placed up high.
Did you see my previous post about the other two lights I was more considering?

Culprit

Well... Yes. The GSP would definitely grow but mabte not as fast. I'm also keeping mushrooms and a galaxea on the sandbed, and the galaxea went from around 300 PAR to my sandbed, so I'd say that's pretty good.

If I had the money for the more expensive lighting for a 40 breede I think I would've went with that. But, the 20 long is an exceptional first tank. easy to scape, easy to stock, easy to fill with corals (no breaking the bank haha). flow is easy, ect. For a second tank, I'd probably do a 40 breeder after I'd had some more experience with the 20 long.

The AI Prime HDs are great lights. The only problem is you'd have to get two. But you'd be able to keep absolutely any coral you wanted and if you ever upgraded they'd still work. I'd say the maxspect is the better light as it'll be more powerful and you'd be able to get a 2 foot deep+ tank and still have plenty of light lol.

ValerieAdams
Well... Yes. The GSP would definitely grow but mabte not as fast. I'm also keeping mushrooms and a galaxea on the sandbed, and the galaxea went from around 300 PAR to my sandbed, so I'd say that's pretty good.

If I had the money for the more expensive lighting for a 40 breede I think I would've went with that. But, the 20 long is an exceptional first tank. easy to scape, easy to stock, easy to fill with corals (no breaking the bank haha). flow is easy, ect. For a second tank, I'd probably do a 40 breeder after I'd had some more experience with the 20 long.

The AI Prime HDs are great lights. The only problem is you'd have to get two. But you'd be able to keep absolutely any coral you wanted and if you ever upgraded they'd still work. I'd say the maxspect is the better light as it'll be more powerful and you'd be able to get a 2 foot deep+ tank and still have plenty of light lol.
Really? The Maxspect is more powerful? Hmm, I've seen almost everyone recommend the AI Prime's over anything else. I knew I would have to get two but I thought that might be kind of nice in case I ever wanted to change the position they're in or something lol.

I also see a lot of people saying that the AI's programming is very nice and easy to use while others have had issues with the Maxspect.

I'm torn on what to do lol

Culprit
Really? The Maxspect is more powerful? Hmm, I've seen almost everyone recommend the AI Prime's over anything else. I knew I would have to get two but I thought that might be kind of nice in case I ever wanted to change the position they're in or something lol.

I also see a lot of people saying that the AI's programming is very nice and easy to use while others have had issues with the Maxspect.

I'm torn on what to do lol

I have heard that the AI programming is exceptional. The Maxspect is probably more powerful, but the AI's will be easier. The AIs will still be upgradeable... meaning ifyou ever want to upgrade as long as its not too deep they'll still work.

ValerieAdams
I have heard that the AI programming is exceptional. The Maxspect is probably more powerful, but the AI's will be easier. The AIs will still be upgradeable... meaning ifyou ever want to upgrade as long as its not too deep they'll still work.
Thanks! I definitely won't go deeper than the 29 which is 18" because if it's any deeper then my arm can't reach the bottom lol

stella1979
You know what else is great about the Prime and other pendants? You can always add more!!! Lol, seriously, if you find yourself in 40B or even 120 gallon land one day, you could add to existing lights instead of needing a longer more powerful Maxspect... Which would mean replacing a light instead of adding on to what you have.

ValerieAdams
You know what else is great about the Prime and other pendants? You can always add more!!! Lol, seriously, if you find yourself in 40B or even 120 gallon land one day, you could add to existing lights instead of needing a longer more powerful Maxspect... Which would mean replacing a light instead of adding on to what you have.
That is a very good point! I think I'll probably go with two of those. Which leads to my next question: They have a flex arm mount and the the regular mount, what are the pros/cons of either?

stella1979
Well, I couldn't say from experience, but I don't think I'd want to fuss with a flex mount. However, allow me to call on some of my buddies here that do have AI experience to see if they have anything to add. Once again, lol, Nart , and the lovely Lchi87 , and the busy, but still sticking with us Mr. SP(he's a teacher, and this parent loves teachers) thesoulpatch (pretty sure you use a Prime bud.)

thesoulpatch
Yeah, I don't like the flex mount. They give after awhile and several people have been complaining and have to prop them up with stuff in order to keep them out of the tank....so I go with the normal mount in order to not have to worry about the light going for a swim.

stella1979
Hmm, and there you have it, Valerie. That's precisely what I feared to hear about the flex mount. Totally not worth the risk imo. Lol, when we get all spendy with reef lighting, they too become our babies, so we must protect our lights.

Lchi87
They only had the flex mount when I was shopping for it... haven’t had issues yet but can see how it might give over time. Hoping to have upgraded to a radion by then, haha. I’d go with the regular one if you can find it.

stella1979
Why... I had no idea you had Radion dreams Lchi.

Nart
The current marine orbit might be pushing it on a 29 gallon because of its height. Things on the sand bed would have to be very low low light corals like mushrooms. Current marine orbit Pros are suppose to be a bit more powerful so that might work. But if you’re looking to splurge a little just get one AI Prime Hd now and then pick up another when you need it for maximum coverage in your tank. 1 AI Prime is no slouch either, it’s what I used for the longest time in my IM25 frag tank till I got another AI. Radions are definitely beasts of your budget allows. Ocean Revive lights are also a great option too. All depends what you’re looking for and your budget.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
smaynard
Replies
Views
JimTheFishGuy
Replies
Views
RoseyFlower10
  • Question
Replies