Tank Environment For Sick Betta

fishyAdventure

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First I wanted to thank everyone for the wealth of wonderful information on this forum, it has really opened my eyes to the care/responsibility involved in caring for the fish. Sorry in advance for the wall of text...

The reason for my post is, we have two betta fish tanks, 1 is doing great and the other we cant seem to get a balance/stability for the fish (and he has gotten sick), he seems to be under constant stress.

The "healthy" betta that we have is in a 3 gallon heated tank with a single under gravel filter. We are careful to check ammonia levels weekly and do 25 to 30% water changes. Each water change we add conditioner and temperature match the water. This tank has an amazon sword and a mossball. I test with an ammonia test kit weekly (liquid API), and I have never had the test show out of the "yellow" color. I understand that to show the 0 to 0.25ppm that it must show "lack of yellow and some green" and have never had it register above 0.

The other betta tank (problem child) is in a 3.5 gallon hooded tank, that is also heated. It has a corner filter box that pulls water up and waterfalls into the tank (I have maybe 5mm of travel max before the water hits the surface), it has a java fern and also a mossball.

It is this second tank that is not doing so hot I had some concerns about the tank being covered and worried about aerating the tank and the betta getting enough oxygen in the water since its a hooded tank, so I got an airpump and a volcano decoration that shot bubbles out of the top.

About a week after I installed this my betta started hanging out on 1 side of the tank consistently and is showing signs of fin rot. Hes a crown? i believe and his stringy fins had began in the middle showing some white hair with the fin slimming around the white hair, so I thought this was cotton wool and started a Pimafix dosage and added 1/2 tsp per gallon of aquarium salt ~2.2tsp for the 3.5 gallon i didnt want to over do it. This morning i found that the fins affected had now fallen off the white hair followed up the stringy fins (I'm at work otherwise id have posted a photo), after doing more research it seems that this may be fin rot... not something fungal. (ps i removed my charcoal bags when i started the treatment). I was in disbelief that t got worse overnight after starting with the treatment.

So I'm at a loss here, something is telling me that the added airbubble volcano was disrupting the water wayyy to much and was causing him to stress and would stay on the opposite side of the tank. It seemed like he had to "swim in place" to stay on that side of the tank. Would this have stressed him enough to cause him to gain an bacterial infection? My worry was with a hooded tank he was not going to get enough oxygen in the water from the small disruption the filter causes. May this have been inflicted by me?

This morning i disconnected the volcano pump, I plan on getting some sort of fin treatment from the store (any suggestions would be appreciated). I have not and will not add more salt during the course of treatment as ive read the controversy of salt and i feel using it during treatment would be the right way to go and then doing a 50% water change at the end of treatment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS Too little too late on the nitrogen cycle, these fish were unplanned gets, so we have been on top of water changes etc, not over feeding and trying to remove uneaten food, and testing ammonia.

fishyAdventure

Valued Member
Reaction score
Should I worry about the tank being hooded and the fish getting enough oxygen? Should I finish the Pimafix treatment while starting another? Or should i stop the Pimafix and attempt with a fin rot treatment?

fishyAdventure

Valued Member
Reaction score
gaintrain said:
His stringy fins had began in the middle showing some white hair with the fin slimming around the white hair, so I thought this was cotton wool and started a dosage and added 1/2 tsp per gallon of ~2.2tsp for the 3.5 gallon i didnt want to over do it.
I explained this in my thread, sorry if you missed it! After his fins had fallen off this morning, I did more research and he seems more symptomatic of fin rot than cotton wool, fraying around the fins where they had fallen off. I hope this clarifies.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would discontinue the salt and the Pimafix. Both are unnecessary, and salt can do more harm than good. Pimafix is a diluted herbal supplement and rather useless.

You can leave the hood on the tank - there should be some holes in the hood for air flow anyway.

For the stress, water quality, and fin rot, I'd begin daily 50% water changes. Do this for a few weeks. In most cases, this will clear the fin rot right up, though it can take a week or two before you see progress.

I wouldn't throw meds at this problem - I'd try to fix it the natural way. If his fins start getting much worse, even with the daily water changes, then I'd consider using an antibiotic for the fin rot. But I'd give it a week or two of daily water changes before going that route.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom