Tank Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I've got the betta bug and want another one, but my dad says 2 tank max. I have two bettas right now in their own tank in about 3/4 gallon of water.
Theyre both happy as can be. but, i was wondering, I'm getting a 2 gallon for free soon and i really want another, would dividing it be considered a step-up for the fish, or a downgrade?

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
3/4 gallon is a tiny amount of water. It's also such a small amount that I'm not sure you could properly cycle it. Do you do 100% water changes in tanks that small? Or to back up a bit, do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not, you should reallyr ead about it here: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Strictly speaking, half of a 2 gallon would be a step up for the fish, but it would still be really small. You'd have the added benefit of being much more likely to maintain a cycle for it though.

Most people here recommend a minimum of 2.5g for a single betta, ideally 5g-10g.

Edit: Meenuuuu!

OP
S

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah i know all about the nitrogen cycle, and ideal water conditions and stuff.
They're desktop betta's right now though, so i couldn't really have two huge tanks on my desk lol.
but i will talk to him about getting a larger tank and scrapping the small ones.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you could get a 10 gallon and divide it, that would be awesome. If that completely is impossible, I would try to get a 5g rectangular (not hex) and divide that.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
midthought, you ninja me all the time. Guess it was my turn.
Ha, I'm off my game! I blame it on this paper I'm desperately trying not to write.

yeah i know all about the nitrogen cycle, and ideal water conditions and stuff.
They're desktop betta's right now though, so i couldn't really have two huge tanks on my desk lol.
but i will talk to him about getting a larger tank and scrapping the small ones.
I hope he approves the upgrade. If your boys are happy and personable now, I imagine they'll be triply or quadruply so in larger digs. Good luck with it, bettas are addicting.

OP
S

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah the one i'm getting is hex, freakin pain in the butt to clean too.

So that, would be 1.7 gallons each if i didvided it 3 ways, easier to cycle and keep clean, and take up roughly the same room.

boy/girl haha

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
1.7 gallons isn't enough. And they need more horizontal swim space. I do not think dividing a 5 gallon hex 3 ways will be good. Heck, I don't even think dividing it 2 ways will be good.

OP
S

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well the bigger tank i'm getting is a 2 gallon hex, and i've decided not to divide even though i'd love a crowntail.
I'm looking at a 5 gallon rectangle
dividing a hex would just be psycho

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The link isn't a hex, but I don't even know how you go about dividing a hex to start with. :shock: It doesn't sound like enough horizontal swim room though. Even dividing a rectacular tank would be better (but a 10g would be better still).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom