Tank Division

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Shiba, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ShibaValued MemberMember

Hi, I've got the betta bug and want another one, but my dad says 2 tank max. I have two bettas right now in their own tank in about 3/4 gallon of water.
    Theyre both happy as can be. but, i was wondering, I'm getting a 2 gallon for free soon and i really want another, would dividing it be considered a step-up for the fish, or a downgrade?

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Bettas do best in 5 gallon tanks by themselves. Minimum recommended per betta is 2.5 gallons. They need a filter and heater.

https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm

I would say the 2 gallon is an upgrade for one of them. The other needs his own, in my opinion. I would print out care sheets and discuss further with dad.

3. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

3/4 gallon is a tiny amount of water. :( It's also such a small amount that I'm not sure you could properly cycle it. Do you do 100% water changes in tanks that small? Or to back up a bit, do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not, you should reallyr ead about it here: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Strictly speaking, half of a 2 gallon would be a step up for the fish, but it would still be really small. You'd have the added benefit of being much more likely to maintain a cycle for it though.

Most people here recommend a minimum of 2.5g for a single betta, ideally 5g-10g.

Edit: Meenuuuu! :;nin2

4. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

midthought, you ninja me all the time. Guess it was my turn. ;)

5. ShibaValued MemberMember

yeah i know all about the nitrogen cycle, and ideal water conditions and stuff.
    They're desktop betta's right now though, so i couldn't really have two huge tanks on my desk lol.
    but i will talk to him about getting a larger tank and scrapping the small ones.

6. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

If you could get a 10 gallon and divide it, that would be awesome. If that completely is impossible, I would try to get a 5g rectangular (not hex) and divide that.

7. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Ha, I'm off my game! I blame it on this paper I'm desperately trying not to write. ;)

I hope he approves the upgrade. If your boys are happy and personable now, I imagine they'll be triply or quadruply so in larger digs. Good luck with it, bettas are addicting. :)

8. ShibaValued MemberMember

yeah the one i'm getting is hex, freakin pain in the butt to clean too.

So that, would be 1.7 gallons each if i didvided it 3 ways, easier to cycle and keep clean, and take up roughly the same room.

boy/girl haha

9. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

1.7 gallons isn't enough. And they need more horizontal swim space. I do not think dividing a 5 gallon hex 3 ways will be good. Heck, I don't even think dividing it 2 ways will be good.

10. ShibaValued MemberMember

well the bigger tank i'm getting is a 2 gallon hex, and i've decided not to divide even though i'd love a crowntail.
    I'm looking at a 5 gallon rectangle
    dividing a hex would just be psycho

11. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

The link isn't a hex, but I don't even know how you go about dividing a hex to start with. :shock: It doesn't sound like enough horizontal swim room though. :( Even dividing a rectacular tank would be better (but a 10g would be better still).

12. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Good call getting the 5g rectangle, and also not dividing the 2g.

13. ShibaValued MemberMember

thanks, i still have to come up with 30 bucks and get parental approval.

14. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Good luck, you made the right choice, your bettas will be so much happier and you will start to see some fun behaviour!

15. ShibaValued MemberMember

haha, i came home today from school to see a huge bubblenest probably due to the girl next door

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice