Tank Division Planning.

Bearwithfish
Hello everyone!!

I am currently in the planning stages of my guppy rack. I will not recap the entire thing here but I would like to pick your brains. I have what I think is an issue and even a potential solution, but I want to get your input and suggestions.

I am going to be dividing the first 20 long into 2 sections (ladies on the left and gentlemen on the right). I will be accomplishing this by siliconing plastic canvas in the center of the tank. I will put the heater on the bottom back of one side of the divider and the sponge filter on the other. I do not see an issue with this tank.

The next 20 long will be subdivided into 4 sections, again with plastic canvas. This is the concerning tank in my head.

Due to the use of sponge filters and the size of the needed heater, I am concerned that placing the heater on one side wall and the sponge filter on the other end of the tank will create a "hot" end and a "cold" end of the tank.

My potential solution - cut the canvas in such a way that I can sew in panels to make a small 3"x3" open space along the back of the tank to house the heater. While this will eat up a little real estate it will get the heater to evenly distribute across the 4 sections.

Please note I am trying to stay true to the following criteria - No power filters of any kind and no powerheads, etc.

Thoughts, input, and advice are all welcome

IHaveADogToo
Due to the use of sponge filters and the size of the needed heater, I am concerned that placing the heater on one side wall and the sponge filter on the other end of the tank will create a "hot" end and a "cold" end of the tank.

This is a valid concern, especially since you are siliconing the plastic dividers into place. I'm assuming there are no holes in these dividers? Holed dividers would help with this a lot. If you don't have holed dividers, I suggest heating and filtering each side of the divider.

Bearwithfish
Plastic canvas has lots of little holes in it so that the water will be able to move through and share the resources (heat and filtration)

Here is an

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEzkfJmjT_mjg6dRkGP4uC0OgfHn-LLyGF4QTdr9X43aX39CiAaQ.jpg

IHaveADogToo
Yes, you *should* be okay then. You might still have some water circulation issues, between the 2 sides, but it won't be nearly as bad.

One thing some people do is use 2 dividers to create a small space in the middle they refer to as a mercy space. You can put your heater and sponge filter in the mercy space. Here's an example:

u=http%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Faquariadise.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F05%2Ffishgirlskoipond.jpg

(No, this is *NOT* my . I found it by google searching "divided tank mercy space")

By using a mercy space, the water is evenly circulated on each side of the tank, and the heat as well. The area inside the mercy space may be the warmest, and most circulated, but each side of the tank gets the same flow and heat.

Bearwithfish
Hmmmm. This is certainly an Idea to consider.

I worry about it though. Not as concerned with the look as much as how much space would be eaten if I did this between each section of the tank as I am dividing it into 4 sections.

kind of a Display tank for lack of a better way to describe it. and with it being a 20 long I am also worried that the right size heater would be to tall for this particular use.

Oh keep in mind if I sound argumentative, that I am not actually arguing just attempting to pull more information into the discussion so that I can be clear on what I am doing as I move forward.

IHaveADogToo
It would work better for the first 20 long that's being divided into 2 sections, I think. The one being divided into 4 sections probably won't have the room for mercy space, because you would need 3 mercy spaces. That's a lot of real estate to lose.

Bearwithfish
I agree much better for the 1st tank. I will have to consider it. I was thinking initially to place the heater on one side and the sponge filter on the other (close to the divider), but I may consider this mercy space for sure.

ok back to the 4 section tank ... What are your thoughts on the heater being behind the plastic canvas and on the bottom of the tank to run parallel to the back glass? with either a single sponge filter or even 1 per chamber. This may increase flow enough to help with heat distribution.

IHaveADogToo
I like the idea of putting a sponge filter in each chamber. I think you're going to get the best filtration that way. As for the heaters, maybe do 2 heaters, one on each end of the tank, as opposed to just one? As long as they have an internal thermometer/thermostat, they should work together to maintain consistent water temp, and you shouldn't have to worry about them overheating the tank. You can probably even get away with a little bit lower wattage heater, too, if you use 2 of them. The heater(s) laying across the bottom back of the tank shouldn't be a problem as long as there are no exposed electronics. A lot of people lay their heaters down along the back wall. I personally don't, because I don't like the idea of the power cord for the heater being submerged, maybe I'm just paranoid.

Similar Aquarium Threads

20 Gallon Tank Betta Grow Out Tank Build
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Bearwithfish
Replies